Citroen Zsara Picasso 1.6 hdi Cam belt

sueyh

Think we had ours done at 60,000 miles because if it went it would cost a lot more to repair (hope I've remembered the right bit !) and although we've had the car a while it's low mileage for year and does everything we need so we don't see the point of changing......

I had the belt changed on my 7 years old HDI 306 ( very similar engine) for the second time at 200,000 miles ( first time at 98,000)  At this mileage the bottom pulley is probably also shot/ showing signs of break up. Local ( St Denis de Pile) garage owners - two brothers know their cars but always get two things wrong : They always get in the left had side then wonder who stole the steering wheel. They never remember the odometer is in miles not kilometres.

I'm slightly surprised by the high mileages being quoted between cambelt changes here. I think 50-60k miles, say 90-100k km, is sensible, because the alternative is unthinkable - a new engine. Perhaps the industry is examining old cambelts and becoming more relaxed about their condition?

[quote user="cooperlola2"]Perhaps the industry is examining old cambelts and becoming more relaxed about their condition?[/quote]

Well I examined my cambelt carefully before attempting to change it and was so relaxed at its condition that it remained, it has now done 370,000 km's. - VAG group TDI.

In my experience belt life is diminished by oil and/or grit contamination, UV rays, engine left unrun for long periods and seizure/break up of pulleys, bearings,  tensioners and things driven from the belt like water pumps, aircon compressors etc.

That said my luck cant last for ever and it may well let go when I am a long way from home and towing a trailer or caravan.

I will inspect it again when I do the annual oil and filter change, apart from that she gets very little maintenance, I even stopped changing the air filter elements 4 years ago and always keep a scrupulous eye on the fuel consumption.

During my period of ownership and minimal expenditure some of my friends and family have spent/lost more than I paid for my French property in repairs, maintenance and depreciation on their vehicles.

I'm sure mode of use has an enormous impact on engine wear and tear.My 2001 Skoda handbook - so VW in all but name - definitely prescribes cambelt change for the TDi engine at 50k miles, 90k km. So I did. It also advises the cambelt be inspected at the annual oilchange/checkup service, though quite whether the "toutes marques" types get to this may be another story!

In my opimion, the vw 1.9 pd was the best diesel engine ever made, much better than the unreliable hdi common rail units in many current cars. The lower power output engines were the best and  the cam bet change on these Pd engines is easy and should be done at the required time, don't run the risk of  ruining a good engine.  As for the picasso engine get it done when required hopefully its not as long a job as the 2 litre (5.5 hrs booked labour?) and hopefully the engine will not be one that causes problems. 

We are drifting gently away from the OP's question, but I have certainly been delighted with the 1.9 TDi engine in the Skoda. With 100 bhp it has plenty of get up and go. I recall a few years back overtaking a tractor on a hill. We had to hang back until it was safe - then whammo! My companion was sure his car could not have done so well - he had a 2.8 litre Golf VR6 with 167 bhp!  The Skoda has consistently given 56 mpg or better, but recently, with warmer weather, has done much better with 62 mpg on successive tankfuls. Not bad at 70k miles. I would need some convincing before buying a petrol car these days.

Cooperlola2.

Same car, same year, same engine, although I thought that it was 110bhp.

Same grunt especially very low down, the higher powered ones are very peaky

Same economy always between 55 and 65mpg even after 240K miles and an at least 5 year old air filter, my best ever mpg was 74.4 on a 100 mile run.

I do wish that I were able to change the fuel computer to litres/100K though.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help.  Well, the upshot was, we contacted Citroen at St Pol sur Ternoise and booked the car in for the cam belt change, gave them full details of the car including kilometrage.  We then received a phone call to say that it was not necessary for the change as the car had only done 128,000 kilometres!  So we booked it in for a service as we were due to drive to the Algarve,  while in for the service they checked the cam belt and confirmed that it would be okay for another year or 20,000 km.  Now that is what I call service.  Just back from Algarve, drove 5000 km no problems (she says touching wood!).  Only problem occurred when some little bar steward nicked our sat nav out of the boot of our son's hire car (in a secure underground car park attached to apartment), I then had to revert to the old fashioned method of map reading for hubby (mind you I always sit with a map on my lap anyway, even with the sat nav going!).

Thanks again.

Suey