registering a caravan in France

rockstitch

I am in the process of registering my caravan in the Lot region area 46, I took all my documents to the DRIRE in Cahores and was told if they needed any more info they would be in touch. I received a letter from the DRIRE telling me it was necessary to provide the Certificate of Compliance, the interior has the standard NFS 56-200 (Part 8: gaz facilities) and the standards EN 721 (ventilation requirements of safety) and EN 1645-1 (requirements relating to health and safety) (approved bodies Veritas or Qualigaz) they gave me the phone numbers to ring and make an appointement with either of these Companies, I could only get through to Veritas in Rodez and was told 10/07/09, I asked how much this would cost and was told 233euros plus 22euros which I think was VAT making a total of 255euros. I double chequed with the DRIRE but was told this was what I must do, then I would have to take my Van to his dept (DRIRE) to have another inspection done for the brakes, chassis,lights and towing head.

I have already got a letter from Coachman saying that the van complies with all these EU standards (my van is a Coachman Amara 2001), also a Certificate from the Caravan Council, and a CRIS Registration Certificate Plus all the info on the Brakes and the Chassis in all European Languages, which were all photocopied 3 times each. But this was not good enough, whilst I realise that they must do this and I don't mind all this work ( at least I know my Van will be the safest Van on the road), I strongly object having to pay the 255euros to Veritas, they seem to have the monolopy on Gaz checks and they know how to charge, you either pay up or don't get your Van passed, surly there must be some other way around this!! My brother took his caravan which is 1995 to the DRIRE in area 24 and didn't have any problems like this and didn't have as much info as I did and had his Van passed with flying colours. Can anyone out there give me any HELPFUL advice Please.

Sam

Before moving over we sold our caravan with the idea of buying one over here when we were ready to do so. One of the reasons was that we had heard of all of the hoops and hurdles and were not ready to do the jumping.

The only advice that I would ever give anyone is to do the same. I am sorry, but if we were in the same situation of moving over again then I would do the same as above.

Your brother was lucky and if you don't believe that then try doing a search on registering a caravan over here? Or get your brother to do it for you?

If you carry on then good luck!

Edit :-  A plus is that there is so much to do and see within out immediate area we would not have had any reason to go far enough in the nearly 5 years we have been here to have used our caravan..

[quote user="rockstitch"].... I double chequed with the DRIRE but was told this was what I must do, then I would have to take my Van to his dept (DRIRE) to have another inspection done for the brakes, chassis,lights and towing head....[/quote]

If thats what they want, thats what you have to do. No way around it.

Just because someone else has had different experiences in a different department doesnt mean that it will be applicable to you.

Its too late now as you appear to be half-way through the process, but I would have advised selling the van in UK and buying locally too. Significantly simpler, and vans seem to be cheaper to buy in France for equivelant specs.

As your van is a 2001 model, it will have been originally certified under the 1999 EN safety standards which were superceded in 2004.  To have the caravan approved for registration in France, it needs a compliance certificate issued under the 2004 standards. 

Veritas and Qualigaz are the only organisations officially approved to carry out such certification, so you have no choice there.

As the DRIRE haven't queried the rest of the Coachman documentation concerning the conformity of the chassis and brakes etc, then this would appear to be in order so once you've provided them with the Veritas report, their actual inspection usually only involves checking that the van presented actually matches the documentation you submitted, that the appropriate weight plates are in place and that all the lights and reflectors comply with the code de la route.

This may not be what you consider to be HELPFUL, but I'm afraid that's the deal......

What about registering an old French manufactured caravan?

Is there a Drire or other database with French caravans on it?

I bought an 80's Esterel folding caravan very cheaply that was originally sold in the UK, the village boulanger has the same model correctly registered, if I were to have bought his I could pay and get the carte grise in my name or in a different department if I lived there without veritas inspections etc, after all these are old vans.

I wonder if it is possible with my Esterel? For the moment she rests in the UK.

Thank you Sunday Driver, This is the first piece of real advice I have recieved by this means as I did'nt know the 1999 safety standard had been superceded in 2004 and now it makes a lot more sence to me. Once again thank you. Sam.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

With Sunday Driver's advice I was able to register our 1989 Lunar Clubman here in Deux-Sevres (79). It ws necessary to take it for the gas inspection to Veritas and then for a roadworthiness inspection at DRIRE. None of this was particularly difficult. I had to modify the running lights too, but on a caravan as recent as yours this shouldn't be necessary.

Don't listen to the horror stories about the problems; they're usually put about by people who haven't done the job!! The rules are quite clear, all you have to do is be methodical. We had our 'van from new and didn't want to part with it; also the continental caravans are different in having (mostly) fixed beds etc which we didn't want. Once again we're enjoying our caravan breaks when we feel the need!

If you need more help please send an email. (Use the email button)

or see this thread first..... http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1093020/ShowPost.aspx

Regards

Sid 

• 4 weeks later...
We have just had our caravan inspected by Veritas and we have to have 2 isolation taps fitted, 1 for the cooker and 1 for the heater also a new gas regulater for the gas bottle and it has to be 30bar (ours is 28 bar), this isn't a problem and we just phone Veritas and it will be inspected free of charge.As the Veritas visited our home and did the inspection we didn't have a problem, but now we have to take the van to him to have it reinspected free of charge, but we have the GB number plate still on the van and the new French Number plates on our car, do we take a chance and tow it to Veritas, some were on the forum I did read that the Prefecture will issue you with a temporary certificate whilst this is done, but the Sue Prefecture in the Lot and the one in Dordogne said they had never heard of this and couldn't help. I wondered how we can take our van to Veritas and later to the DRIRE to be legal on the road??????

Yep-Ihad the same,but 6 years ago cost me 155 euros.Took the guy 5 minutes,even on a 1992 Lunar,although we already had the isolation gas taps for all seperate gas services.The French inspector was expecting to find rubber gas piping inside the ,van- probably as the French have.Still much cheaper than buying a crappy French caravan,alors,donc ,mais oui!!! Maude