Leaving France, can't get insurance UK

mooky

I am leaving next week. Mutuelle Poitiers will give me insurance until 3rd Aug. I have tried the internet insurance companies but I exported my car from UK 5 years ago. I have french no plates, and french licence so can't even look at thing. I am staying temporarily at my sons until my house sale UK is complete. What can I do any suggestions

Go to a broker in the UK,  they should be able to sort out the insurance for you, online companies are not geared up for anything out of the ordinary. You will have to get your car registered in the UK, but that should not be a problem. Did you keep the old headlights? You can keep your French driving licence it is valid until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period.

I returned to UK in December 2008 bringing with me my Frontera in which we had left UK in 2000. Perhaps I was lucky but AXA, on the understanding that I was changing back to a UK registration, agreed to insure during the process, which took about 6 weeks total. During this period I was house hunting and drove without problem on french plates and french Insurance. In the strict letter of the law that was probably illegal but I was "on holiday" and had not decided whether I was about to become a UK resident or not.  DVLA were very helpful, lights were changed, MOT completed, the biggest problem being finding a UK insurer to recognise my French "releve d'information". Churchill came up trumps in the end and accepted my translation and I finished up with the original registration number that I had in 2000.