405 euros for the Carte Gris (Edit: Total cost 1160 euros)

Kitty

Today, I finally managed to register one of our cars at the Prefecture.  The cost of the Carte Gris was 405 euros. 

Added to that sum must be the Certificate of Conformity, the Controle Technique, the headlamps (ordered but not yet paid for) and the number plates.  A costly exercise...

EDIT: In a later post, I detail all the costs, which totalled 1160 euros.

I know a postie who recently changed his Mercedes cabriolet for a Nissan 350Z cabriolet, even he was shocked at the cost of the carte grise at around €3K IIRC, he told me there was some kind of malus added for its CO2 rating.

Just as in the UK we all should pore over What Car? magazine to get the lowdown on every model in our list, so Quelle Voiture? provides the same service in France. Published quarterly, with a very comparable format, for every one of the "6,700 modeles du marche" it provides all the usual details of engine size and output, features, aircon etc, complete with a bonus/malus figure, although, oddly, the 350Z does not appear in its listings. We know they - or actually the new 370Z, I think - are on sale, because the Nissan dealer we patronised on Tuesday had a leaflet on his desk! Bonuses start at 700 euros, and the highest malus I've noticed is 2,600 euros, which is enough to make you think a bit, but hardly matters as a % of a car costing more than 50k euros, perhaps! Small change to those who can afford such items.....

At a recent local 3 day rally somebody turned up with a Ford GT on a trailer behind a Hummer. His Carte Grise costs likely exceeded the actual value of 1/2 the other participating cars !

But you know what they say, if you have to ask the price........................[;-)]

Whatever the cartre grise was its still less than three years UK road tax  and far better than not being legal on the road in France and not having an accident claim paid out as a result, especially where kids are iinvolved.[:$].  What price peace of mind? 

Just been to Agen ,Prefecture, hit for 441 euros for registering the car, but only got a provisional Crtificat d´Immatriculation, permenant one will apparently come in the post.

• 1 month later...
I paid over 800 euro to register my 5.7lt V8 Jeep Grand Cherokee equiped with GPL.  My FJ Cruiser cost 700 euro (with 23cv fiscal equiped with gpl) there was a "tax enviromental" of 300 euro which is stupid coz there is no polution at all with lpg vehicles, only by product is water vapour....even the test center were amaized at how little it polutes compared with the diesels or petrols here.  Enviromental tax is a stealth tax.

[quote user="wallifer"]

I think my car is either a V7 or V8 so that would be either 323 or 369 euros ut I'm not certain about the cost for the enviromental tax.

I'm trying to work out the overall cost for re-registering

[/quote]

v7 might be a lumpy ride , v8 will be smooth [;-)]

[quote user="krusty"][quote user="wallifer"]

I think my car is either a V7 or V8 so that would be either 323 or 369 euros ut I'm not certain about the cost for the enviromental tax.

I'm trying to work out the overall cost for re-registering

[/quote]

v7 might be a lumpy ride , v8 will be smooth [;-)]

[/quote]

I see what you mean [:)] I lost the site I found the info on, should have been 7cv or 8cv.

I'm getting so confused[8-)]

The approximate cost in euros of the registration of my Nissan car (excluding French car insurance) was:

Certificate of Confirmity             130 euros

Controle Technique                      50  (can't remember exact amount)

Headlamps (including fitting)       500

Carte Gris                                  400

Number plates (incl fitting)            80

TOTAL (approx)                     1160 euros

Just returned from Agen Prefecture, our trusty little citroen cost 64.00 euros for a new carte Grise, shes on her last legs not worth 64 euros if sold!! But we luv her!

By the way 09.15 this morning, Friday the place was empty ,we were done and out in twenty minutes!!

Have tried using the sites for calculation, just got hopelessly confused[:$] not difficult! Anyone got a rough idea of how much it would cost to register a right hand drive Ford Mondeo (Year '99 fuel petrol)?[8-)]

[quote user="Jo"]Have tried using the sites for calculation, just got hopelessly confused[:$] not difficult! Anyone got a rough idea of how much it would cost to register a right hand drive Ford Mondeo (Year '99 fuel petrol)?[8-)][/quote]Need to know the engine size to be precise but it looks like either 6, 7 or possibly even 8CV which for dept 86 translates to €195, €227, or €258, reduced by 50% if the date of first registration is more than 10 years ago.

I thought I would add up the cost for doing mine last year .

The approximate cost in euros of the registration of my Mercedes car (CV 13) was:

Certificate of Confirmity               62 euros ....doing it the DRIRE route

Controle Technique                      60 

Headlamps                                 250 ....fitted myself

Carte Gris                                  433

Number plates                              20 .....fitted myself

TOTAL (approx)                     825 euros