keeping motorhome in france

bigears

hi

Here in the uk, I have seen a nearly new trigano tribute for a bargain price. We are thinking of buying it to keep at our french house so that we can more easily tour europe and beyond. I presume the first time we will be compelled to return to the uk will be for its first mot. We will of course keep it taxed and insured. Can anyone see any pitfalls.

I predict 3 pages of replies from people telling you why this isnt possible as you think.

If it stays in France, it needs to be registered in France. Its not a complicated process for such a recent van, and means it will not have to go back to uk for mot`s.

If you can find a UK insurance Coy who will insure your Motorhome for 365 days a year outwith the UK ,ok maybe slightly less than that if you are bringing it back for an MOT , are willing to pay the ferry charge just to do that, pay road tax then the only rule you will be breaking is the 183 day rule.But noone pays attention to that anyway.

Leaving aside the other predictable, although still valid, arguments, if it is nearly new then it won't need an MOT until it's 3 years old and finding an insurer to cover you year on year for that sort of period out of UK will be difficult if not impossible.

The only insurer I know of who offers 12 months full cover whilst outside of UK (without telling fibs) is Stuart Collins but even they require that the vehicle touch UK soil every year.

I know someone with a policy for their camper van from Saga and it provides, as you say, all year cover.  Only thing is, they keep a UK address although they do not live in the UK[;-)]

I know for a fact that Saga won't cover anybody who doesn't have a UK address. 

i've already got two french registered vehicles and don't want to go through the process with another, particularly a rhd. The motorhome will be touring europe and beyond very regularly, so it won't be staying in france for 6 months.

We have actually decided we don't want to commit that amount of cash and will be keeping our trusty rusty transit westfalia euroline which is lhd and french registered. Unfortunately as we are uk resident we are not supposed to take it back to the uk. You cannot win.

[quote user="Bob T"][quote user="bigears"]nick, what information makes you say te vehicle will be illegal?[/quote]

Probably the French law which says that any vehicle that is here for more than 6 months must be registered here.

[/quote]

Or maybe not. HERE