exporting a car

Yvonne

I am assuming that you are currently resident in France. The FAQ has the information that you need to re-register your car in the UK:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/465627/ShowPost.aspx

Note that as soon as you are resident in the UK, you need to re-register your car: you do not have any period of grace and cannot drive it in the UK on French plates once you are UK-resident.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Yvonne"]WHat I am wondering is what, if anything, I have to do French side?[/quote]

You need to give notice (in the correct manner) to your insurer to cancel the insurance: the notice required may be longer than you think! The French document will be surrendered to the DVLA in the UK registration process and the French authorities will be informed by the UK authorities.

[quote user="Yvonne"]How does it work in the Uk then when I get off the ferry??[/quote]

You just drive off and go to your new residence. The next journey the car makes after that should be to the MOT station and return. Once you are UK-resident, until the car is fully registered in the UK you should not drive it. The UK form (V55/5) cannot be completed until you have a UK address and proof of that address. Leaflet INF148 will tell you what you need.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="AnOther"]Do the insurance company not need sight of a Certificte de Cessation to act on the cancellation ?[/quote]

Someone please nudge SD!: however I would have thought that this was not necessary (in any case the car isn't being sold - or have I overlooked that?) - otherwise how do you switch insurers?

Regards

Pickles

The certificat de cession is used to prove a change of ownership of the vehicle.

As far as the insurance company is concerned, a move to another area (let alone another country!) is one of the events which allow the insured to terminate his/her insurance contract.

• The termination must be sought from the insurer within 3 months of the change of domicile.

• It will take effect one month after notification to the insurer, ie after the signing of the acknowledgment by the insurer.

• The insurer reimburses the premiums charged after the effective date of termination.

• No compensation will be charged to the insured for the termination for a change of address.
(source)