Prime a la casse - how does it work ?

Mutiara

I see that car manufacturers offer a 1000 euro reduction if you trade in a car older than 10 years.How does this work in France ?

Could I buy an old banger from someone and use that ? I have a neighbour who has an old car that still runs, but and has no CT, insurance, and bald tyres etc. He wants 150 euros for it so should I buy it and use it to get a 1000 euros reduction in my new car. Would the garage need a carte grise and all the ususual paperwork?

Any advice to clarify would be appreciated.

http://www.latribuneauto.com/fr-prime-casse-voiture.html

as far as I understand the law, you must buy a new car that fulfils certain demands less than 160gr Co2

and the old car ten years, still runs, still insured, and! you have been its owner for more than 6 months

salut

Herbert

Thanks guys - if I read the link right it seems like you must have been the owner from new too !

Oh well, that's my plan scuppered. I have found that the main dealers - Renault Peugeot etc are much les flexible on discounts and prefer to stick to their offers which come up now and again with very little room for discounts ( 5% max is what Renault offered!)