UK resident owning a French car

master of none

Could someone (Sunday Driver et al) please throw any light on these questions for me.  I am a UK resident with a French second home and I wish to purchase and use a car (LHD not an import) while in France. Am I correct in thinking that if the car has a C.G. and current C.T.  and insurance (in my name) that there would be no legal problems while driving in France, even though I have a UK licence with my current UK address on it? 

As an additional question is it correct that I can only register the car in my name if I obtain the C.T. myself (in my name), if so do I need to get the car retested upon purchase or wait until the C.T. expires? 

As a final point, what if (but unlikely) I wished to travel to the UK in the car for a short trip would my UK residency make it illegal for me to drive this car on ‘foreign‘ plates? 

Sorry if this subject as been flogged to death before but I couldn't find the correct info.  

Many thanks in anticipation of some useful replies.

[quote user="master of none"]

Could someone (Sunday Driver et al) please throw any light on these questions for me.  I am a UK resident with a French second home and I wish to purchase and use a car (LHD not an import) while in France. Am I correct in thinking that if the car has a C.G. and current C.T.  and insurance (in my name) that there would be no legal problems while driving in France, even though I have a UK licence with my current UK address on it?[/quote]No problem at all, it's what probably 75% of people quite legitimately do

[quote user="master of none"]As an additional question is it correct that I can only register the car in my name if I obtain the C.T. myself (in my name), if so do I need to get the car retested upon purchase or wait until the C.T. expires? [/quote]No. A CT is for the car and to obtain it it does not have to be registered to you, think about it. If that were the case then if you need the CT in your name in order to register you could never get it because it's not registered to you - think of it exactly as you would a UK MOT. Normally a secondhand car should be sold with a CT less than 6 months old so make sure whatever you buy has this. Although there is nothing preventing you from buying a car with less you would not be able to register it and would then have to get a new one.

[quote user="master of none"]As a final point, what if (but unlikely) I wished to travel to the UK in the car for a short trip would my UK residency make it illegal for me to drive this car on ‘foreign‘ plates? [/quote] Yes

[quote user="master of none"]

do I need to get the car retested upon purchase or wait until the C.T. expires?[/quote]

when changing the Carte Grise to your name, the CT must not be older than six months. It is the seller who has to deliver you a valid certificate

bonne chance

Herbert

Thank you both for the replies, more or less what I expected but it's nice to get things confirmed.  I think the point about the C.T. was vaugely what I was trying to get at as I believe the car in question as a reasonably short C.T.

As answers inevitably bring more questions, how soon after ownership would I be legally required to register the vehicle in my name?  I’m sure you can see where I am going with this one but I suspect I know the answer!  Once purchased the car will most likely be garaged until the spring (this is when the C.T. is due to expire) with little or no use.

I believe the time for registration is only 14 days but I'll let someone else confirm that.

If you're putting it straight into storage and not using it then it's not a problem and you'd just register is as soon as possible in the spring, only driving it for the new CT until you had the new Carte Grise, if you got stopped otherwise questions might be asked leading to a fine.

Where a change of ownership occurs, the new owner must notify the change within 30 days of the date of purchase if he/she wishes to continue driving the vehicle on the roads.

You could certainly garage the car then bring it out in the spring, but by that time, the thirty days will have long expired so when you take it for its CT, you'd be facing a 135€ fine if you are caught driving the car under the old carte grise.  Bear in mind also that if you let the CT certificate expire, you could also face an additional 135€ fine as there is no 'drive to pre-arranged MOT' concession here like there is in the UK.

Simplest way is follow the proper procedure and insist on a fresh CT with the car and register the change of ownership now.  That means you'd have no hassle when you come back over to France to enjoy your spring holiday....[;-)]

Thanks again for the replies, I thought you would be cruising around somewhere Sunday Driver (it is Sunday after all!).  The C.T. would still be valid in the spring but I take your point regarding the carte grise.  I do not intend to push for the C.T. to be renewed as I am getting the car for a song, certainly by French standards!  As yet another side issue (but related), does anyone know any good motor insurance websites (French of course)?