Garmin 1340 Sat Nav

Paul King

Hi All,

I know quite a few people on this forum have Sat Nav's I wondered if anyone has the Garmin 1340? I was at Halfords today and the assistant insisted that this device would provide an audible warning if you exceeded the current spped limit but Garmin's web site would seem to say otherwise within the FAQ section.

Can anyone who actually has one confirm who is correct?

Many thanks

The 1340 has the Cyclops system which, like many others,  gives an  audible warning on the approach to camera locations.

As far as I'm aware, and I stand to be corrected, it does not warn you when you exceed the speed limit.

Its annoying in that you get the alarm (repeated) even if you're within the limit on the approach to a camera zone.

You can, of course, always turn it off.[:)]

Yes I have a Tom-Tit Shatnav that allegedly has that feature.

About as much use as a chocolate teapot as it only has the speed limits of the main A -roads and motorways in its memory, where you need it most on rural or built up area roads where the limits change frequently between 30 and 60 mph it remains silent.

Unless of course you are on a main road that tavels through a town then it will default to 30 mph even if it is a dual carriageway with a 60mph limit, I wouldnt mind if it decided that all te roads in the built up area are 30mph as most of them indeed are but no it ignores the rest.

Mine is a Garmin 265W, with full European "safety camera" database. The alarm only goes off (and shows the camera warning box in red) IF the unit is registering that you are over the speed limit for that camera location. If you are under the speed for said camera location, the warning box appears, but in green, and no audible alarm. This unit also shows the speed limit for most roads on screen (a facsimile of a road sign in the corner) regardless if there is a camera on that road.

The stupid thing is that I already have a built in Sat Nav within the car - but it dosen't alert me to either me exceeding the speed limit or speed cameras which are the two features I really need after missing a speed reduction sign last week.

Does anyone have any suggestions to a product which will provide me with an audiable alert when speeding or approaching a speed camera in both UK & France?

Many thanks

Paul.

[quote user="Baz"]

Paul, I have used Microfusion for a number of years both in the UK and France and in fact covers most of Europe. There is no monthly or annual  fee for updating and for the price it  costs barely more than one speeding ticket. http://www.microfuzion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=MFZUNIT

Baz

[/quote]

Baz, does that also work out average speed through average speed camera sections that are becoming ever more popular ?

[quote user="f1steveuk"]Mine is a Garmin 265W, with full European "safety camera" database. The alarm only goes off (and shows the camera warning box in red) IF the unit is registering that you are over the speed limit for that camera location. If you are under the speed for said camera location, the warning box appears, but in green, and no audible alarm. This unit also shows the speed limit for most roads on screen (a facsimile of a road sign in the corner) regardless if there is a camera on that road.

[/quote]

Steve, I'm intrigued by your post as I have a Garmin 765W which, I think, is a newer model than you have but I get the warning signal of an approaching camera no matter what speed I approach. I've deliberately tried a really slow speed but no change whatsoever, it certainly doesn't change to green neither does the beeping stop.

Are you using the Garmin POi's or an aftermarket add-on ?

Gary.

Your Garmin sounds exactly the same as my Navman. It alerts you to a change in speed limit regardless what speed you are approaching which is fair enough I think.  I also get fixed camera and traffic light camera warnings.

I'm more and more convinced that all these Sat Navs (and similar devices) have the same basic engine in them which is just crippled or enhanced by various 'manufacturers' to produce a product range

I believe that camera warnings are illegal in Switzerland, not sure what you do if the Sat Nav is built into the car

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Baz"]

Paul, I have used Microfusion for a number of years both in the UK and France and in fact covers most of Europe. There is no monthly or annual  fee for updating and for the price it  costs barely more than one speeding ticket. http://www.microfuzion.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=MFZUNIT

Baz

[/quote]

Baz, does that also work out average speed through average speed camera sections that are becoming ever more popular ?

[/quote]

Paul, it is not necessary to work out the average speed, as an irate female voice will sternly tell you that you are exceeding the limit and will keep repeating the warning  until you drop your speed to the permitted level. I have nothing to do with company, but must say it is a marvellous little gadget and as well as visually telling you the information, it is the voice warnings that keep you on your toes. The uploading of new information is easy and fast and sometimes has even  temporary roadwork speed restrictions incorporated. You can even put you own warnings in if they have been missed but that is very rare. It has other interesting information incorporated but the most useful is that it shows continuously your accurate speed via satellite and then you can see how inaccurate you car speedometer is. Also red light camera warnings are verbally given.

Baz\

Gary, as "out of the box". When it was new it did exactly as you describe, then I did a firmware update direct from Garmin, and it now behaves as I described!

I was slightly wrong, under the speed limit, green box, one beep. Over the speed limit, red box, and a repeating bleep. The only downside is this only works if you have the voice prompts switched on, which I tend not to have, but there are seperate volumes.

Garmin do have a habit of changing the basic workings for no real reason, usually getting rid of the useful stuff in favour of bits and bobs you's never use!

The one thing mine does, and quite accurately, is work out fuel consumption/carbon foot print/trip costs. It's a free down load from Garmin called Ecoroute, which adds "most economical route" to the route types menu. Our drive home from the UK is about 650 miles, and this option saved us over thirty pounds!!!!! Down side? the pronounciations of French names on the text to speak, hilarious!!!

Thanks for that.

I just plugged my Garmin into the computer and It said I was up to date on my Garmin software.

There was a download available for my Safety camera stuff so that's now done. I'll check it out tomorrow.

[quote user="f1steveuk"]The one thing mine does, and quite accurately, is work out fuel consumption/carbon foot print/trip costs. It's a free down load from Garmin called Ecoroute, which adds "most economical route" to the route types menu. Our drive home from the UK is about 650 miles, and this option saved us over thirty pounds!!!!! Down side? the pronounciations of French names on the text to speak, hilarious!!!

[/quote]

Well, I've tried to download Ecoroute but so far failed.

I have the latest version of Web Updater (2.06 for the Mac) loaded, attached my GPS and it comes up with 'Your device is up to date' then below a load of 'voice' upgrades but no sign of Ecoroute.

Any ideas ?

That's what you'd think but the install merely tells you how to install using the Web Updater.

So I've done all that and Eco Route is just not shown as an available download.

Technology, don't you just love it [:@]