Parking ticket in the UK.......

tuppence

I recently returned from a visit to the UK in my French registered car. Whilst there I took a disabled friend out shopping. We parked in a street with double yellow lines (along with about 15 other cars) with a disabled users car badge correctly displayed. On return to the vehicle, we had a parking ticket. We haven't been able to find out what the code '01' is for.  Has anyone else had this type of problem, whilst in the UK? And what is the upshot if the fine is not paid, can they find me in the depths of France as my French registration was obviously on the ticket issued? [:@]

tuppence

Whilst technically there are mechanisms to enforce cross border fines in practice they are seldom invoked so I wouldn't worry.

Code 01 is 'Parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours' so maybe parking there was prohibited, disabled badge or not. Did you notice if any of the other cars had been ticketed ?

Tuppence

I have the same problem on at  least 3 or 4 occasions every time I return to the UK, usually in the pay and display car parks of my local town, I have quite a nice collection of yellow stripy self adhesive ticket envelopes, you would think by now that I would remember to pay wouldnt you? [6]

You have in my opinion nothing to worry about, if ever they do decide to try and recover fines from owners of French registered vehicles I will be further up the list than you.

Just a note of caution.

"Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is incorporated in the CCTV

system which automatically records every vehicle embarking and

disembarking the 'roll on-roll off' ferries."

Now the chances of a pull for an unpaid parking ticket may be small, but. [Www]

No, I think the Chunnel had it first.

Isn't the difference here that the parking ticket is a Local Authority charge, unlike other motoring offences, and so cannot be enforced cross frontiers?  or did I just make that up?

Here in Luxembourg they have adopted a different approach to non-payers as we have many Fronteliers that just park anywhere, knowing that a ticket will not be enforced. Well, no longer.  The Clamper Vans regularly come around the streets where the bigger offices are and if they spot a car with unpaid fine(s) they clamp it so you have to pay the back fine plus a lump to have your car released.  Seems to be effective!

[quote user="Bugsy"]"Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) is incorporated in the CCTV

system which automatically records every vehicle embarking and

disembarking the 'roll on-roll off' ferries."
[/quote]Yes but can they recognise non UK plates. As I understand it the ANPR system works by comparing a number plate

with a stored image so how is say a French plate going to get into the

database anyhow.

Even if they can is it really credible that local authorities are going to report every unpaid fine by a foreign car to DVLA to have it's number entered into the ANPR database ?

[quote user="Chancer"]

Tuppence

I have the same problem on at  least 3 or 4 occasions every time I return to the UK, usually in the pay and display car parks of my local town, I have quite a nice collection of yellow stripy self adhesive ticket envelopes, you would think by now that I would remember to pay wouldnt you? [6]

You have in my opinion nothing to worry about, if ever they do decide to try and recover fines from owners of French registered vehicles I will be further up the list than you.

[/quote]

So you are exempt from paying for parking when you return to the UK?  What is special about you?

Yes but can they recognise non UK plates. As I understand it the ANPR system works by comparing a number plate with a stored image so how is say a French plate going to get into the database anyhow.

Even if they can is it really credible that local authorities are going to report every unpaid fine by a foreign car to DVLA to have it's number entered into the ANPR database ?

ANPR doesn't quite work like that. 

The system works by using optical character recognition software to translate the image of the number plate into a string of letters and numbers - ie, the registration number.  The translated letters/numbers are saved to a temporary file which is then matched to the appropriate database, eg DVLA, PNC etc. Any foreign registration number can simply be extracted for alternative follow up action.

As far as unpaid local authority parking fines are concerned, neither the police nor the port authoritites have any powers to detain a vehicle for the purposes of civil parking enforcement.

[quote user="Chancer"]  I have the same problem on at  least 3 or 4 occasions every time I return to the UK, usually in the pay and display car parks of my local town, I have quite a nice collection of yellow stripy self adhesive ticket envelopes, you would think by now that I would remember to pay wouldnt you? [6] [/quote]

Can see why you call yourself Chancer then :)

Same location so its the same Nounours ergo the same Ron.

He seemed to have toned down a lot when he returned to this forum, a shadow of his previous entertaining self, a bit like Jack Nicolson after he was lobotomised in one flew over the cuckoos nest [;-)]

One can only speculate as to why he no longer posts here, perhaps for a moment he reverted to type?

He's a bit brazen using the same pseudonym, that forum is a bit milder than this one, if he resorts to his former self it will be like a hungry fox in a chicken run. Someone should post a warning.  Must get back to my plumbing.