Selling a car privately

Belle

Question for SD I think, can you tell me please the procedure for selling a car privately, by that I mean the paper work, we have someone interested in our car, but don't know what to send off, and to where. Thank you.

Gosh, how do you manage living here......?[blink]

1.  Certificat de Situation Administrative: you obtain one through the link below, print it out and give it to the buyer.  

https://siv.interieur.gouv.fr/map-usg-ui/do/accueil_certificat

You'll need your carte grise handy to fill in the input screen with the following:

Identification de la carte grise:

Numéro d'immatriculation - registration number (including any spaces or hyphens)

Date de premiere immatriculation du véhicule - date of first registration

Date de certificat d'immatriculation - date of issue of your carte grise

Identification du titulaire:

Complete the first box with your name exactly as it appears on the carte grise.

2.  Déclaration de Cession d'un Véhicule: download the form from the link below and complete and sign all three copies.  You give the first copy to the buyer and send the second copy off to your prefecture within 15 days of the date of sale to notify them you are no longer the owner - and therefore no longer responsible for the vehicle. It's fairly explanatory so either have your French-English dictionary handy or ask a neighbour to help you fill it in:

https://www.formulaires.modernisation.gouv.fr/gf/cerfa_13754_01.do

3.  If your vehicle is over four years old, you need to provide the buyer with a current valid controle technique certificate that was issued within the past six months.

4.  Finally, if you have the new style carte grise with the detachable coupon, you need to cancel it through and mark it as 'vendu le (date)' then enter the buyer's name and address on the coupon, sign it, then hand the complete carte grise to the buyer.  

That's it.....[;-)]

One question I have about selling a vehicle is that if someone comes along and has not got the cash with them and wants to pay with a cheque, how long would you ask them to wait for the cheque to clear and be able to take the vehicle away and are the french used to doing business like this.

In the uk I always found it the norm but here they don't go cancelling cheques as readily as the uk maybe as it costs them to do so.

[quote user="Thebiga"]One question I have about selling a vehicle is that if someone comes along and has not got the cash with them and wants to pay with a cheque, how long would you ask them to wait for the cheque to clear and be able to take the vehicle away and are the french used to doing business like this.

In the uk I always found it the norm but here they don't go cancelling cheques as readily as the uk maybe as it costs them to do so.[/quote]

Cheques in France cannot be cancelled (well, they can, but only under certain very specific circumstances). But they can still bounce.

Insist on a cheque de banque, that's probably the safest way to guarantee the money. If you are in any doubt then you can always phone the bank branch to check that it is valid (i.e. not stolen, or altered).