Motorhome

billy10

I am considering buying a Motorhome and will probably purchase a left hand drive version in the UK because they are better priced than the French equivelant. I am sure this question has been asked before so here goes !! The way I would do it is as follows , two of us would drive over to the UK in our car, we would then buy the motorhome , ring our French insurance company to get it insured, book a one way ticket on the ferry and drive the motorhome back to France.

So now I end up with a motorhome in France , left hand drive but registered in the UK, does anyone know the procedure I need to follow to make it all legal and above board and what are the approximate costs as part of the attraction of buying in the UK is the lower purchase price of the Van , It will probably be 3500 Kg or less and be maybe 6 or 7 years old. I live in department 36.

Thanks

Billy10

Do be careful that your motor home is 'importable'.A friend of mine did what you're thinking of and bought a LH drive VW in UK then when she came to import it found she couldn't without going through some very complex and expensive procedures - don't ask me what! but eventually she sold it in UK very cheaply.

Just make sure you will be able to obtain a Certificate of Conformity; if there is not one already it may cost 1 - 600 Euros to obtain, and be a bother. If you buy from an importer in the UK be sure to press them on this. This aside, you will certainly save money buying in the UK. All vehicles are amazing prices in France: 'Deal of the week' here in the Charente - 1996 Peugeot 305 diesel - yours for just 3,500 Euros! (This car would be circa £800 in the UK.)

Thanks Guys for your replies, since I posted the question I have spoken to several owners and as you have said it is very difficult importing a motorhome from the UK, albeit much cheaper, so I am going to bite the bullet and buy a vehicle in France where it will be registered, have a control technique and will be easy to insure, all I have to do is print a few more Euros and I am home and dry ( only kidding your honour )

Regards

Billy10

A friend of mine brought in the UK, LHD, even a French make, and the got the company in the UK to French reg' the vehicle, for not a lot of money (an extra £1200 I think), he then flew over, and booked a very cheap "away day" crossing, which was way less than a single fare, and drove it home to Antibes!