Helmets and three wheeled motorbikes

Suandpete

[quote user="Iceni"]There is no such animal - three x bi does not compute. A. Pedant[/quote]

I too am faintly annoyed by references to three wheeled two wheeled vehicles, not to mention quadruple two wheeled vehicles, but just put it down to sloppy language.

But what does it matter, English went to hell years ago, you can just grunt so long as your listener understands.

I believe you ARE missing something. [;-)]

bike = bicycle

trike = tricycle

So to be perfectly correct, you should refer to a trike not a bike for a three-wheeler.

Always happy to correct shoddy use of English [Www] but of course many will say "what does it matter?". Well, what it matters is that soon we'll all be talking in "txt-spk", Oh no!!!!!!!!!

DA

[quote user="devilsadvocate"]

So to be perfectly correct, you should refer to a trike not a bike for a three-wheeler.

[/quote]

Sorry but I haven't, if you check, said otherwise.

So a motorbike and sidecar must only have two wheels, interesting.

Oops!   I certainly didn't intend to upset anyone.

The vehicle in question now seems to be some sort of hybrid - it has one wheel at the front and two at the bank.  A fuel tank similar to a motorbike tank in front of the driver, a bench seat which seats two behind the driver and a reliant engine with a car type stick shift gear box; the three seats are open and there are no seat belts.   It appears to have been made as a hobby project.

What difference would this make to whether helmets should be worn or not?  Does the fact that it appears to have a car engine and a car type gear box make it a three wheeler car?

Su

[quote user="Bugsy"] So a motorbike and sidecar must only have two wheels, interesting. [/quote]

Ha ha. That's an amazing leap in deductive reasoning, Watson.

I was referring to your havng missed something about "bikes".

What I've noticed is that you are never wrong, no matter what you said originally. It must be irritating for you having us mere mortals trying to put things right.

A motorbike and sidecar is exactly that, a motorbike (ie two wheels) plus a sidecar (one wheel), so it's a combination if you remember the old term, we used to have an AJS combination when I was a kid. So as a unit it has 3 wheels, so it's a trike!!

Simples!

If you check the thread there are several references to "bikes". Look it up in a dictionary, I did to make sure I was right. Bike is a shortened form of bicycle (I thought you would be sure to know that), and a previous poster pointed out the same misuse.

Like him, I've come to put up with yoof-speak and poor English, but I thought most people on here were more literate. Not for nothing did I sweat out my English Language exams.

ANYWAY - YOU NEED TO WEAR A HELMET ON A MOTOR-BIKE OR MOTOR-TRIKE. 

DA

PS Haven't you got anything better to do? Nearly 6000 posts! Good grief you'd be better off sharing your exploits on Facebook with your "friends"!

From www.askthe.police.uk:

Crash helmets

Riders/drivers of three wheeled

vehicles with an unladen weight not exceeding 550kg, generally, will not

require a helmet providing the distance between the centre of contact

of the rear wheels is more than 460mm. Riders/drivers of three wheeled

vehicles with an unladen weight exceeding 550kg will not require a

helmet. It must be noted that even if a helmet is not a legal

requirement, it is still advisable that one should be worn.

Many traffic regulations seem to be harmonised throughout Europe, so are we saying France has different rules?

(I do agree that whether or not it is compulsory, it is advisable)

[quote user="Will"]

Many traffic regulations seem to be harmonised throughout Europe, so are we saying France has different rules?

[/quote]

Come now Will, France would never have different rules to the rest of Europe now would they??? [:-))]

[quote user="devilsadvocate"]A motorbike and sidecar is exactly that, a motorbike (ie two wheels) plus a sidecar (one wheel), so it's a combination if you remember the old term, we used to have an AJS combination when I was a kid. So as a unit it has 3 wheels, so it's a trike!! [/quote]

[:D][:D][:D][:D] hey, whatever makes you happy.

Just imagine all those sidecar outfit and combination owners not knowing all this time that what they actually own is a trike. [8-)]