French driving licence / ex-pat OAP

Boudicca

We are in the process of researching our return to France. I say return because my husband is French and we lived there for 11 years before coming to the UK.

We will be bringing my mother with us. We already live together and know there will be no issues from that alone. However I do worry about the implications of moving her to France. There are a number of concerns, but here we are on the driving thread so let’s go with this one here:

My mother is a VERY active 77 years old. She has her own little car and likes to be independent. Whilst she wouldn’t want to drive on major roads she would still want to nip down to the local shops or market.

Does she need to change her licence for a French one? Will they give her one? Even in the UK she now has to renew it every few years.

What about insurance – will she be heavily penalised because of her age and because she hasn’t lived in France and therefore driven on the right?

Looking forward to your replies – and no I won’t tell you where we are moving to so you can keep off the roads! ;o)

Boudicca, can't you just get her added to the insurance on your chariot?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Someone else will be more helpful, I'm sure.

All I know is that it is really easy peasy to change a British driving licence to a French one - and FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!

LOL it was my cat's name, but rather appropriate for on here, don't you think? :o)

I know it's easy enough to change - although I'm still driving on my French licence after 13 years in the UK -dla say I don't have to and I like the picture because I was only 22 ;o)

I'm just concerned that her age may be an issue and they refuse to let her have a licence. She'd be gutted :o(

I actually can't remember how car insurance works in France - I know it isn't quite the same.

Oh and we'll be changing to left hand drive cars rather than trying to keep or register our UK ones - just in case that has an influence on anyone's reply.

(Still smiling at mum driving a chariot - I know we are planning a move to rural France but not that rural! LOL)

Is it legal to drive on French licence in the UK for so long? (or vice-versa)?

It is absolutely great for your mum to be so active at her age and want to continue to be as independent as possible. It is of course much easier for her to drive in familiar surrounding she knows well - my dad drove around this area until he was 95.  How do you feel she will cope with driving a car on other side of the road, and with different signs, roundabouts, etc? Will she keep her car with right hand drive, or change? Perhaps not an easy transition at her age, however fit and active?

Perfectly legal. I ask DVLA regularly. This year I got caught by a speed camera (blush) and went on a speed awareness course to avoid points. I had to show my licence and my marriage certificate (because it was still in my maiden name) and there was no problem at all.

The only problem I sometimes have is that some insurers won't accept a European licence, but actually I’m not sure whether they are legally allowed to do that. I always make sure that I state that I have a French European licence.

[quote user="Boudicca"]Perfectly legal. I ask DVLA regularly. This year I got caught by a speed camera (blush) and went on a speed awareness course to avoid points. I had to show my licence and my marriage certificate (because it was still in my maiden name) and there was no problem at all. The only problem I sometimes have is that some insurers won't accept a European licence, but actually I’m not sure whether they are legally allowed to do that. I always make sure that I state that I have a French European licence.[/quote]

Just to clarify it. As a UK resident it is legal to drive a car on an EU licence for three years or until age 70 whichever is the longer period.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022556

[quote user="Boudicca"]  Does she need to change her licence for a French one?

Now that she will be living abroad, she won't be able to renew her UK licence so she should exchange it for a French one which is valid for life.

Will they give her one? 

Yes.

What about insurance – will she be heavily penalised because of her age and because she hasn’t lived in France and therefore driven on the right?

Her age will be taken into account when determining the premium, the rest is immaterial.  If she can provide proof of a UK no claims bonus, then that will also be taken into account.

[/quote]