Buying second-hand TV aerial

Piddy

A curious one this. The vendors of the house which we are buying in the Gers (32), want to know if we wish to buy the TV aerial mounted on the roof. it is not a new or high tech model, just an ordinary tv aerial!

It seems very odd to ask for extra money for something which seems as part of the house as the chimney or the toilet, however maybe it is the norm. Do you know better?

we havent been quoted a price yet. Are the vendors trying it on or are we doing them a dis-service?

Piddy.

When I bought my property 17 years ago and plug in the TV, result no picture. I then discovered that they had removed the roof TV aerial, which I thought was most petty. After further enquires I found out that this was normal as it is not part of the purchase. I should find out how much they want as getting a new aerial can be rather expensive.

Baz

[quote]When I bought my property 17 years ago and plug in the TV, result no picture. I then discovered that they had removed the roof TV aerial, which I thought was most petty. After further enquires I found...[/quote]

Strange, but true! And I would get some sort of assurance that it works, as as Baz says, replacing it is likely to be (relatively) costly - unless you want to get on the roof, in which case is is just dangerous (but cheap!).

I suspect that, if you start asking for guarantees, then they will just leave it..

If the vendors are French then you would do well to find out exactly what they are or are not leaving, included in the sale price. It is not uncommon for items such as light fittings (leaving just bare wires), kitchen fitments and curtain poles etc. all to be removed. To many French people, they are only selling the walls floors and ceilings ! There have been many buyers in the past that have a nasty shock on moving in day.

Hi,

It would be wise to check what is being left behind. If you are considering having Freeview or Satellite TV then you will require a new aerial anyway. We had a Freeview system fitted fairly inexpensively to the existing satellite aeriel by an English guy working in the Lot et Garonne area. You could save more money by bring over a Freeview box from the UK. I would play it cool and tell them they can leave it if they wish.

Regards

Paul

[quote]A curious one this. The vendors of the house which we are buying in the Gers (32), want to know if we wish to buy the TV aerial mounted on the roof. it is not a new or high tech model, just an ordinar...[/quote]

We have just bought a house that was full of furniture and kitchen fittings and the vendors asked if we wanted to buy the furniture for a set price, I asked for an inventory of the furniture! all they wanted to leave were 2 beds & 2 wallrobes, So I told them not to bother! after signing for it we called round and they had left the above items but stripped everything else out including the light fitting and all the wood that was in the garage for the log burning stove. It was only the crap they wanted to sell us!

I've found it better to get everything writing first and it saves problems later!

andy