Newbie introduction

Citroënesque

Hi there,

I'd like to introduce myself: I used to live in France, near Agen, but had to move back to the UK in 2003. Since then I try to spend as much time as I can in France, as I miss it. When I was in France I caught a disease: Citroënitis and since then have had no choice but to drive and enthuse about Citroëns. But, to most of you, I'm sure it wouldn't be very interesting if I just rambled on about this, but I have some specific requests that someone may be able to help with.

In 2009 me and a small bunch of fellow enthusiasts drove the perimeter of France; L'Hexagon, in an array of old Citroën BX's. Hence it became known as the BXagon Challenge. We did an average of 4.500 kms over the eleven days of driving, stopping off midway for a day at a charming village Alaigne near Limoux. In the end, we raised over £6,250 for Cancer Research UK and everyone had a great time too.

In May 2012 a similar event is taking place; this time over a shorter distance - but before anyone asks - this is not a plea for sponsorship. The charity aspect is not applying to this as really, it's just a jolly. No, instead we have opened the event to any Citroën and there will be a smattering of cars; BX, CX, XM - even an SM it is hoped, amongst others...

But in organising this I need some local intelligence, so to speak. The route is posted below, and if there's anyone at the key points along that route who'd like to join in or can offer help regarding camp sites etc. I would be hugely grateful.

In particular I am after a suitable venue for a classic car rally in or near Gap, and a place we can hold the end-of-event bash in Calais. Please feel free to contact me, Philip Chidlow via this thread, the Citroën Classic Challenge [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Classic-Challenge-2012/163448066999966]Facebook[/url] page, which should become the main point of reference for interested parties, or via PM.

TTFN!

[IMG]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/Citroenesque/Map20.jpg[/IMG]

Sounds great.  I used to have a BX 16v which was some of the most fun on four wheels I've ever had.  I was also reminiscing on another thread about a friend's DS estate which used to take me around France in the mid-60s - my first introduction to a French family, that most superb of French cars, and this wonderful country.

Pity only the St Malo-ites are coming via the Centre of the Universe!  For this reason I can't help much with local knowledge on the route.  I'm sure you'll all have a great time though.

Sorry that I can't help you this year as we live about 45 mins North of Limoux. I also have no sympathy with your Citroën addiction!

My only contact with their cars was 2 years and 40,000 miles with my Dyane, 11 years with my BX TZD Turbo Estate, 3 years with my 2 ltr Xantia Est, 4 years a C8 left hooker when we first moved over here and now 3 years a Grand C4 Picasso. Oh and my wife had a 2CV for 17 years and cried when she sold it days before moving over here! Just a shame that Citroën didn't stick with the liquid suspension!

Good luck with the trip though!![:D][:D]

P.S. Our next car will possibly be a C3 Picasso?

That's quite an obsession too. I feel I have to own up to having owned 13 x BX's (mostly 8v and 16v GTi), 2 x ZX's (TDs), 1 x Visa GTi, I x GSX and 2 x XM's. And I'm after a LHD TZD Turbo hatch (in white if poss!)...

sorry the drugs don't work (tried Toyota, BMW and Mercedes)...

I had a BX in around 1990; The one most memorable thing about it was that it sprang a hydraulic leak at speed on the high pressure system. I've never seen such a mess: even the windscreen was covered in oil, as well as the sides, and the engine compartment. Needless to say, the car was undrivable, and had to be trailered back to the dealer. They fixed it all right, but never got rid of all the mess!

I'm an Audi driver now :)

It's funny the number of people who say they had a BX.. I didn't notice/ remember them new! A major leak such as you describe is unusual with a BX when it's travelling along... it is/was far more usual to come out to the car of a morning, say, and find it squatting in a pool of it's own green blood.[:D]

Out of 10 BXs that finally did all or portions of the course in 2009 (total combined mileage covered 22,355 miles. Average age of cars was 19 years. All their mileages added up? Over 1.4 million), there was one unscheduled stoppage due to failure - a burst coolant hose. And that was it. Not unimpressive given the rigours of the course.

It's reckoned there are only about 1,000 on the road in the UK now... but those that are left are often in the hands of enthusiasts who keep them going... but even so... that's not many...

Anyway, I didn't want to make this thread about my hobby, so back O/T, I would really like to know of anyone living in the Gap or Calais areas who might be able to help. (I figure I should post this request elsewhere on this forum, but which section do you - collectively - suggest?)

Cor blimey! This is really bringing the Citroën-knees out of the woodwork init!

P.S. Coops, I have just ralised that you mention "The active topics"? As I have only been on this forum for about 8 years I hadn't realised that Active Topics existed? Where are they please?[8-)][:$]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]
P.S. Coops, I have just ralised that you mention "The active topics"? As I have only been on this forum for about 8 years I hadn't realised that Active Topics existed? Where are they please?[8-)][:$]
[/quote]Go to the opening page of the forum and you will spot at the top there is an "Active" option.  This takes you to the page where all the topics currently being replied to and/or posted are listed in date order, regardless of subject.  These days it's the only page I ever really look at - I never visit individual boards at all. See:

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/TopicsActive.aspx