New car tyres?

Francie

We need to fit four new tyres on our car. Where is the cheapest place to buy tyres? We are heading to Spain in the next few days and wondered would it be cheaper there?

Thanks for any advice,

Francis.

Francie

I tried buying tyres in Spain one year when the approaching need coincided with our winter holiday; I didn't find it much cheaper, just a few euros, and in fact managed to wait until I got back!

With only a couple of days to go you haven't left yourself much time for shopping around!

I find that the online tyre suppliers are the cheapest www.123pneus.fr and www.pneus-online.fr are two examples I've used. The tyres are delivered to a local fitter and you then make an appointment for fitting.

We've had this discussion previously and not everyone on here agrees with this method; some believe you should pay top-whack to your local garage in order to keep him sweet!

It's your choice, but you did ask for the cheapest.

If you lived in south Deux-Sevres I could also recommend a tyre supplier/fitter near Chef-Boutonne.

Sid

PS I like all that computer-speak in your post; do you always talk like that? [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Quillan"]

Try deviating your route and going through Andorra.

http://www.andorrapneumatics.com/prices%20tyres%20Andorra.pdf

[/quote]

And the Uniroyals at the top of the list, frankly I would opt for buying them from 123pneus for delivery to my local garage at 18% off list price than take a tortuous route through bandit country.[:D

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=125&Cookie=LeGuide&details=Ordern&typ=R-166468&ranzahl=4&nichtweiter=1

Yes but if you read the actual website and not just the pdf with the prices on you will see that the price includes fitting, new valves and balancing plus some are not much cheaper where as some are very much cheaper, it depends on size and popularity of the tyre. Tyres for my car are about 60 Euros each cheaper from them, worth going if you have other reasons to visit and you want 4 new tyres. Also, if you read the OP he is going to Spain and whilst it might be a bit of a detour it might be worth it him, only he will know. I have also bought tyres from 123 but you don't have to get them delivered to a garage, they will deliver to your home and normally withing 3 or 4 days. That way you can look for the best deal for fitting.

Yes, Quillan, I forgot that point about home delivery. Generally, fitting at one of their listed garages costs 15-20€, slightly more expensive for alloy wheels. New valves and balancing are included (or have been in my experience).

Sid

Best seal in fitting tyres..chez -vous... 3 tyre levers, a lump hammer, a canister of propane and a bic lighter.[:)]

The last time I bought tyres was from 123, research showed them to be cheapest; with the exception of visiting the Black Forest and fitting them in Germany.

Spain,Italy,BeNeLux,UK all came out dearer.

123 have an arrangement with garages to which they deliver for economical fitting, using small country garages; for example in my case a Famuily Garage at a cross-roads on the road from Thenezay to Ayron.  The fitting is cheaper than anything in Parthenay including MaxAuto.

And have you noticed when one pitches up at a garage with one's tyres purchased elsewhere how they give one immediate cut price fitting.[:)]

I had the impression that the UK was actually cheaper for tyres and I'm pretty sure it's the case with motorcycle tyres; however unless you can time it to coincide with a visit it's not worth looking unless you want to get upset. [+o(]

Sid

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice. . Following your advice I checked out various possibilities including, 

http://www.123pneus.fr , offering my size tyres (175/70R14) at €34.70-61.50 delivered but €15-20 each for fitting.

http://www.andorrapneumatics.com , offer my size tyres (175/70R14) UNIROYAL RAINEXPERT:    58,20 € or MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER:    72,00 €.

http://www.feuvert.fr
offered (175/70R14) UNIROYAL RAINEXPERT:    44.99 € or MICHELIN ENERGY SAVER:    72,99 € with other tyres in the price range €36-99 

All in all I thought Fue Vert were the best possibility. However we realized we had a few more weeks to go on the currant tyrpes and then after further discussion with my partner we decided when having the car serviced to get our local garage to also fit the new tyres. We know this wont be the cheapest option but their prices are always reasonable and it keeps them on side if ever need them.

Thanks as always for your help.

Francis.