Roller team Camping car

billy10

Hi Forum,

I have finally got my camping car, it is a new Roller team garage p, 2.3 multijet etc etc , which I pick up in one months time. As I am totally new to this area of leisure I am appealing to all the experienced campers on the forum to give me some hints , First off my biggest fear is that when I go to show it off in December/ January in the UK it is going to be extrememly cold and I have a fear that the boiler / water system will freeze up and damage it.  The system on the van is a Truma combi 4 which I aam fairly sure heats the water for the heating and for the shower, sink etc. Am I being concerned over nothing , I would have thought that on a new van it would be taken care of in the design , but I dont know that. Is there a formula to prevent this happening, ( I dont even know where the boiler is located or the water tank that feeds it, but surely this would be insulated or something ???)

When in the uk I will be staying at proper sites with hook up etc, however the Truma 4 only works with gas so I cant leave it on while the van is empty for maybe up to 10 hours whilst visiting family.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Hi billy10

I think these are questions you should have asked the supplier maybe before purchasing as he should know the products he is selling.

However, I had a Truma 4 on my last van and that worked off both gas and electric, suppose it depends on the spec.

Most modern vans are now so good that you can use them all the year around, but as I said you should have asked the supplier.

Sorry to sound so negative but I would have researched everything before comminting to the purchase. Although that doesn't help you now you have purchased.

I'm off to the Paris camping car exhibition at Le Bourget later this month to do some research for my next van. See below

http://www.salon-vehicules-loisirs.com/fr/01-presentation-salon-vdl.htm

You will have to cut and paste into your browser.

[quote user="elamessa"]Hi billy10

I think these are questions you should have asked the supplier maybe before purchasing as he should know the products he is selling.

However, I had a Truma 4 on my last van and that worked off both gas and electric, suppose it depends on the spec.
Most modern vans are now so good that you can use them all the year around, but as I said you should have asked the supplier.

Sorry to sound so negative but I would have researched everything before comminting to the purchase. Although that doesn't help you now you have purchased.

I'm off to the Paris camping car exhibition at Le Bourget later this month to do some research for my next van. See below

You will have to cut and paste into your browser.
[/quote]

The water tank will be located either underslung on the chassis or inside the vehicle built into a seat base or cupboard - this will affect its chances of freezing. They are not insulated so if underslung, care should be taken and it should be drained when not used for longer periods.

The rest of the water system will have a drain point in the plumbing - switch off the pump system, open this drain and open all the taps to drain the system completely.

While you are using the van draining is not needed as it should never get anywhere near cold enough inside for it to be a risk, its more when you park up the vehicle after your trip.

Also, dont forget the water in the toilet flush if its seperate to the main plumbing and the waste tank.

New or second hand - any dealer worth a damn should spend a decent period of time with you at handover explaining all these workings - don't be afraid to make notes as it can be a lot to take in in one hit.

Hi again

I have found a 2010 'dossier technique' for the roller team and see that on your model the Truma 4 is only gas.

I don't know if it's to late but you could have had a Combi 6 gas+electric and a frost pack both as options which would have assisted in your stay on a site in winter time might be worth asking your dealer.

HTH

Looking after your water system is no big deal provided you follow the proper precautions.

Other than the underslung waste water tank, all of the water system in located inside the van so when camping overnight, there will be sufficient residual heat in the van to prevent the system from freezing. We've camped over in sub-zero temperatures and tend to leave the TrumaVent blower on a low setting to keep the interior temperature comfortable.

As per Dave, if you aren't going to be using the van over the winter, then if you do the pre-winter drain down then you'll have no problems.  Fresh and waste water tanks drained, Truma boiler dump valve opened, all taps left open and in the centre position to drain them of water so as to prevent them splitting if the water freezes. 

The whole procedure will be demonstrated to you when you pick up the van and it's also explained in the handbook.

Happy camping....

• 1 month later...
Insulation around the water tank is the key. We spent last winter in our camper in the UK and before setting up I lagged our underslung water tank in anticipation of the cold - but it still froze! I didn't realize that the temperature had dropped so far as to freeze the tank until I turned the water tap on one morning and nothing happened - I thought that the vent hole had blocked but after a couple more tries it finally dawned on me that the pump wasn't pumping as it had frozen - but of course it was TRYING to work and so burned itself out! Replacing the pump from underneath in the middle of January in the NW of England is NOT to be recommended!

Our Dethleffs camper drops the water out of the heater automatically at about 2 degrees C to prevent damage from frozen water. As SD says earlier just keep a little heating on overnight.

Be prepared for a BIG SHOCK if you have to buy Calor in the UK (also different regulator valve).

Looking at the date on the original posting, have you taken delivery yet?

Enjoy.     [:D]