Fuel Shortages - Is it worth trying to make the trip from the UK?

Eusi

Hi

I'm due to be driving overnight on Friday 22nd October from Calais to Sarlat in the Dordogne.  I'll need to refill along the way but the news reports here in the UK don't look promising with the current level of fuel shortages!

What have been your experiences so far of mototways services?  Are they running dry?

Thanks

Eusi

[quote user="Eusi"]

Hi

I'm due to be driving overnight on Friday 22nd October from Calais to Sarlat in the Dordogne.  I'll need to refill along the way but the news reports here in the UK don't look promising with the current level of fuel shortages!

What have been your experiences so far of mototways services?  Are they running dry?

Thanks

Eusi

[/quote]

I drove up from Spain yesterday and managed to fill up in Brive. But now I'm in the Loir et Cher and there appears to be no fuel available at the moment.

Around us - NE corner of Gironde there are restrictions on the maximum you can buy was € 50 now € 30 but no closed filing stations.

I driving to UK on Friday but will try and fill up at tank half full rather than three quarters full on way up and will drop crusing speed to 60 mph 100 kph as car will reach Calais if there are shortages. 

Further to my earlier posting about the fuel shortage, as I drove through  France yesterday it was interesting  to notice  the garages had not put up their prices; although they would soon be out of supplies. Today there is a news storey  in the UK that English prices will go up very soon, one of the many "reasons" is  the French Fuel blockade ???

This morning in my French class I was categorically told that there was no fuel in the Carrefour Market at Lezignan yesterday.   All I can say is that at 7pm last night (also Tuesday) was at Carrefour Market in Lezignan, and though I wasn't there to buy fuel, there was certainly fuel being dispensed.  So who do you believe, and as far as I can see, there is fuel, you just might need to be patient and perhaps search a little and perhaps pay more than supermarket prices.

The other story tonight is that Sarkozy has sent in special forces to open some fuel depots, and the next that they were blocakded again - so again - who do you believe?

This link might be of help; choose your departement from the drop-down. It's only updated every 6 hours, but might give an indication:

http://www.carbu.fr/iframe_stationsvides_v2.html?dep=30

There's also this link, through which a friend was able to point her husband to petrol

http://forum.automoto.fr/trouver-de-lessence/

It was a bit old for our area, but you might be lucky. This site relies on people adding their questions/answers about supplies.