Getting a Releve D'informations translated into English

Megan le Fey

I have been trying, without success, to get my French motor insurance company to supply a Releve d'informations translated into English and stating how many years a Coefficient de reduction/majoration of 0,67 equates to. Whilst Churchill have insured me, I only have to the 28th January to get an official translation, on an official letterhead, before they shove me right back to zero no claims. You would think that a major UK insurance company, especially considering the level of immigration to UK from the EEC would know exactly what the darn thing means but they are not exactly co-operative. A helpful young woman from my French bank/brokers sent me a copy with the info. hand-written in English but it was pointed out to me that I could have (fraudently??) written that in myself. Has anyone else met this problem and how was it resolved please.

Thanks Cooperlola but I tried that with a UK translations company. Unfortunately, the French document only gives a percentage of reduction figure, and does not state the number of years that it equates to. The UK insurer works in claim free years and will accept no less and, of course, the translator cannot translate a statement which does not appear on the original document.

In similar circumstances a couple of years ago I chose Churchill because they were the only company I found who would accept my "releve d'informations". I sent my French AXA agent a letter with the wording that Churchill required  - basically stating that I had held the policy since 2000 and had made no claims in that period. He sent back a copy on AXA headed paper which I forwarded to Churchill along with a copy of the original French releve d'informations and an explanation of how the French system worked.  Churchill accepted this without a problem. 

I hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks Chas, sorry I didn't come back sooner, I was a bit bogged down in other British beauraucratic dramas.

I have given up on 'phoning the bank/brokers (everyone tries to be helpful but say that they can't do it) and have written to them requesting a letter in English stating the bits of info. that Churchill require. I just hope that they are as co-operative as AXA were for you. In the meantime, I have sent Churchill a letter with the releve d'informations with the handwritten English remarks which the Churchill telephone sales operator said was unacceptable. The worst it cost me was a stamp and I suppose there is a faint possibility that they will accept it. Fingers crossed.

Good luck.

I also did a similar thing with my motorhome insurance for Safeguard. My French insurers were AMV who provided a table with the relevent details. I created a blank and filled in the details in English (my own uncertified translation) which Safeguard accepted. Their only condition was that I changed my French driving licence for an English one - which I would have had to do in three years anyway.

[quote user="Chas"] Their only condition was that I changed my French driving licence for an English one - which I would have had to do in three years anyway.[/quote]

That's interesting, I changed my UK licence for a French one just before I turned 70 (as one does[:D]) and although I have been asked about my licence by a few insurers they have all said, "a French licence is nooooooooooo problem" although they all wanted to know the date when I originally got my UK licence.  I must try to remember to change it before the three years are up.