Possible to exchange Canada, Alberta license for French license?

hstraf

Hello,

My wife and I are in the process of organizing a move to France for August. We will be living in France for 5 years. (I already have a work permit, etc..)

My understanding is that we must get a French driver's license within 1 year of becoming residents of France...

.. so we are trying to figure out how this works. According to some info I found, we can "exchange" our Alberta, Canada driver's licenses for French driver's license.

Is this correct? If so, is there any "gotcha" that we need to know about? Do we just go to the Marie/Prefecture and give them our Alberta licenses.. and that's it?

Do we still need to take French road or written tests? (Which I am *very* paranoid about because I've heard they are very expensive, difficult, and time consuming..)

I just don't want to have any surprises.

Thanks!

Alberta has a reciprocity agreement with France which allows you to exchange your driving licence for a French one.  However, your new French licence will only be valid for category B (vehicles up to 3500kg).  If you have other entitlements such as motorcycle or heavy goods vehicle which you would like to retain, then you will have to take the necessary tests.