legal requirement to stop and assist

sid

I think this may be one for SD.

I think I have read that there is a legal requirement to stop and assist someone who has had an accident or breakdown; is this correct? Probably the accident part is correct and maybe not the breakdown? I've tried searching the Code de la Route, but without knowing the correct terms I'm struggling.

I stopped last week for a scooterist who had broken down at the side of the road miles from civilisation. I forgot, by the way, that I should have donned my high-viz vest! As it turned out he needed fuel and we got it sorted... only took an hour!! [blink] I would always stop for a 2-wheeler problem, cycle or motorbike, but I still have this English wariness of stopping for cars.

It is called non assistance a personne en danger.

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-assistance_%C3%A0_personne_en_danger

Doesn't sound like this person was 'in danger' but one has to stop if one sees an accident and anyone needs help, it is the law and they do prosecute people who break this law.

• 2 weeks later...
I wrote my van off a few years ago and was pleasantly suprised how so many people who came passed asked if I needed help. I ended up in a ditch but was not hurt and at least 20 vehicules (some were mothers with children on the school run) stopped or at least slowed down to ask if I needed assistance. I also had a blow out last year on the motorway and a breakdown van was passing asked if I need help. Here in London totally different most cars passed when I was knocked off my bike a old lady helped me but no one younger, thats East London for you.

[quote user="idun"]It is called non assistance a personne en danger. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-assistance_%C3%A0_personne_en_danger Doesn't sound like this person was 'in danger' but one has to stop if one sees an accident and anyone needs help, it is the law and they do prosecute people who break this law.[/quote]

Funny that they didn't  help Dianna, they were too busy taking photographs

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="idun"]It is called non assistance a personne en danger. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-assistance_%C3%A0_personne_en_danger Doesn't sound like this person was 'in danger' but one has to stop if one sees an accident and anyone needs help, it is the law and they do prosecute people who break this law.[/quote]

Funny that they didn't  help Dianna, they were too busy taking photographs

[/quote]

(I assume you mean the paparazzi...)

Did no-one call the emergency services?

Unless they were first-aiders or doctors (and I seem to remember there was a doctor on the scene), what other help do you expect them  to offer?

I wonder if it goes as far as expecting you to intervene if someone is being beaten up? I certainly wouldn't if there were knives or guns, but some people would. I was just listening to something on the radio today about two men who managed to take a gun off a robber (in the UK.)

[quote user="Clair"]

(I assume you mean the paparazzi...)
Did no-one call the emergency services?
Unless they were first-aiders or doctors (and I seem to remember there was a doctor on the scene), what other help do you expect them  to offer?
[/quote]

There was a move by the French authorities to prosecute the paparazzi, but after an eternity it was all forgotten and washed under the carpet. As far as helping goes? they could have helped by keeping out of the way instead of being ghouls with cameras. Anyway back to the topic I think the French normally react to accidents very well and sensibly, I just wish more Brits did the same in the UK

[quote user="Patf"]I wonder if it goes as far as expecting you to intervene if someone is being beaten up? I certainly wouldn't if there were knives or guns, but some people would. I was just listening to something on the radio today about two men who managed to take a gun off a robber (in the UK.)

[/quote]

No it doesn't.

You are not expected to put your life in danger, but to contact the emergency services (SAMU 15, fire brigade 18 or 112 for either). Anything beyond that is entirely up to you.

When coming across any accident, ask yourself:

• Is there any persistent danger?
  • Can I remove it?
If the answer to both questions is yes, do the necessary to protect the injured without ever moving them (except if they need to be removed from imminent danger before the emergency services arrive)

If the answer to one or the other is no, immediately raise the alarm, making sure that no other person can put themselves in danger (warning triangles, flashing warning lights on vehicles...)
When making a call to the emergency services, you should state the location of the accident as precisely as possible, the nature of the accident (fire, car crash...), the number of persons injured and the apparent condition of the injured, and any first-aid given.

Do not administer first-aid unless you know what you're doing.

Do the utmost to facilitate access by the emergency services.

Many many years ago when I was nobbut a lass, I skidded on the RN on the way to Calais one icy morning going back to the Uk for Christmas. It was very exciting, I did a complete about-turn, swooping right across the carriageway in a huge circle, and more by luck than merit ended up against the crash barrier, albeit facing the wrong way. A chap stopped, saw I was alone in the car and shaking a bit, and told me to follow him to the nearest service area, he drove very slowly and I crept along behind and he bought me a coffee and didn't let me set off again until I had stopped shaking. At the time I was amazed that anybody would be so nice to a complete stranger, I didn't know it was his duty as a citizen. It's great that people help each other like this in France.