Car Alarm Immmobilizer problems

margie

Need help with car alarm system problems, any one had similar problems in France? Cannot disarm the alarm, alarm sounds for no apparent reason, cannot unlock central locking with keyfob remote, car won't start due to the alarm led light flattening car battery.....you name it, I've had it!! Have replaced key fob battery and car battery, I know I will probably need to go to a garage but I am worried about possible high charges for what could be a simple solution.....I would be interested to hear from anyone who has had similar problems or from an alarm technician.

You don't mention which vehicle but one thing to always check is the boot-light. Is it going out correctly.

Check your handbook for re-installing the alarm code (it can get confused if you have replaced the batteries.)

It may need a dealer intervention but some can be done by the owner.

If factory fitted, it must have a switch (usually a key operated one) for the service department to disable it. If the car battery was disconnected from the car for a resonable period, the key fob and the alarm reciever will need syncing.

The trouble with these alarms is that they will suck every last bit from the battery, when the voltage drops below a certain level it keeps registering the low current as a voltage drop. I've lost count how many batteries I've seen needed replacing because the alarm has drained the life out of them!

If it's aftermarket, there's a birds nest of wires in there, and it will be shorting somewhere.

The car is a Daewoo Mussoo 2001. I am not the original owner but the Alarm system has Daewoo on the key fob and the operating instructions for the alarm and the Owners Handbook advise contacting a Daewoo representative if you have any problems.

I live in dept 16/87 border and presume if Daewoo exist in France I would have to go to Limoges?

Daewoos are now Chevrolets and they have dealerships in France. 

http://www.dealer-network.chevroleteurope.com/dealer-network/dealerLocator.htm;jsessionid=FD9500B39086BEC1C6B6ADA7A7E117D6?execution=e1s1

The Musso was a Ssang Yong before it was a Daewoo, iirc.

The problem is that being a ten year old car from a marque that's been bought out, you might not find that it's any more satisfactory taking it to a Chevrolet dealer than just nipping to any old mechanic.

EDIT : I have had a good google and this doesn't seem to be a common problem (that may just be to do with the age of the vehicle though).  The only reference I can find is by a Margie somewhere in France![:)]

• 1 month later...

Try disconnecting and reconnecting the car battery and then manually locking/unlocking the car. This may reset the system and the key often does not set the interior part of the alarm. It could be the interior sensors setting the alarm off.

Door/Boot/Bonnet switches have also been to blame in the past. If a switch is faulty, it can fool the car in to thinking it is open, setting the alarm off when you lock it.

Very unlikely the LED is flattening the battery, but something else maybe if the new battery is going down.

Sorry, just realised the date. Hope you got it sorted!

Tony