Denied categories on exchange of license...

Riggy

Hi, a little while back I incurred the second of two speeding fines within a specified time with points to be registered. This morning I went to the Tarbes Prefecture with all documents to exchange my license for the French version.

Upon completing the paperwork, I was handed a reciept with only B cat car plus 750kg trailer permit. Upon enquiring about my 125cc prov license (it was only showing on the paper counterpart and not the plastic) she said if it wasn't on the plastic I wasn't entitled and would have to sit a French driving test. Anyone know if there is any appeal over this or any other solution? I have been licensed (prov bike and full car for 42 years)since 1968 and was just about to buy my first bike in 20 years.

I'm also concerned I won't be able to drive up to 7 tons....not really worried about the minibus categories.

TIA

Riggy.

Group A may have been excluded because it is only a provisional entitlement which I don't think has any direct equivalent in France. Also I believe the rules in France have changed recently and now all car drivers have to undergo 7 weeks basic training before being allowed to ride a motorbike.

Regarding group B, a standard UK licence from that time would normally include groups B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, and D1E, all of which will have be mentioned on the photocard so only giving you B is completely wrong and they can't have it both ways !

I think you need to go back either with a copy of your old photo licence (you did keep one didn't you !) or else a letter of entitlement from DVLA showing all the groups you are entitled to drive (not provisional). Local age restrictions excepted when exchanging a licence you should retain all the groups you had regardless of whether they are applicable to a native French driver or not.

"second of two speeding fines within a specified time" What specified time. Any points offence can result in a demand for an exchange, not so many in such and such a time scale, that's pure invention on somebody's part. Did they tell you to exchange your licence or did you do it voluntarily ?

I agree with your Group A proposition having read the Jan 2011 regs.

Yes kept copy of card and paper licences. Have been trying to get hold of DVLA all day then realised it was B. H. over there.

Soon to be ex-wife had contact with another Brit over the weekend who described his wife's experience with license infractions. Aparrently she got points put on her license for something, didn't change her license to a French one, commited a second pointable offence and they sent her to jail for three months.

I had points deducted on my last speeding fine.

Riggy.

I am getting too old to keep up with motorcycle licences. But I reckon that provisional licences no longer exist, even when they did it was only for two years.

Cagers wan't to hound motorcyclists off the road.

hi ok

you need to supply proof that you have been riding a 125cc machine for the past 2 years to get it  onto your new French licence ...as in   old  / current   insurance  documents ..  well that's what they asked me for ..

Dave

[quote user="Riggy"]Aparrently she got points put on her license for something, didn't change her license to a French one, commited a second pointable offence and they sent her to jail for three months.[/quote]Well whatever she was jailed for it I think we can say that it was not for failing to exchange her licence, nor for simply losing another point or two.

Perhaps her second offence was in itself serious enough to warrant jail time ?

[quote user="Riggy"]Haven't got proof, haven't ridden for 10 years or so.[/quote]It's off to French motorbike school for you then [;-)]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="Riggy"].[/quote]It's off to French motorbike school for you then [;-)]

[/quote]

Getting confused here. I posted same problem on another forum and was told I could ride a 125 on a Cat. B license? Who is right please?

The reciept I was given had 'pour les categories -B - E (b) at the bottom.

Riggy.

http://www.motoservices.com/permis/lepermis.htm

Le permis B Français (communément appelé permis voiture) et la conduite d'un deux roues de moins de 125cc en France et dans l' UE (Union Européenne des 25 états membres)

Le décret n°2010-1390 du 12 novembre 2010 portant sur "diverses mesures de sécurité routière, publié au Journal Officiel du 16 novembre 2010 modifie entres autres l'article R 221-8 du code de la route et impose à tout titulaire du permis de conduire B (permis voiture) depuis le 1 Janvier 2011 qui souhaite conduire pour la première fois "une motocyclette légère ou un véhicule à trois roues de plus de 50 cm3 (L5e) sur le territoire national (Français).

1/ D'être titulaire du permis B depuis 2 ans au minimum.
2/ De suivre une formation obligatoire de 7 heures obligatoire depuis le 1 Janvier 2011

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Le permis B Français (communément appelé permis voiture) et la conduite d'un deux roues de moins de 125cc en France et dans l' UE (Union Européenne des 25 états membres)

Le décret n°2010-1390 du 12 novembre 2010 portant sur "diverses mesures de sécurité routière, publié au Journal Officiel du 16 novembre 2010 modifie entres autres l'article R 221-8 du code de la route et impose à tout titulaire du permis de conduire B (permis voiture) depuis le 1 Janvier 2011 qui souhaite conduire pour la première fois "une motocyclette légère ou un véhicule à trois roues de plus de 50 cm3 (L5e) sur le territoire national (Français).

2/ De suivre une formation obligatoire de 7 heures obligatoire depuis le 1 Janvier 2011

[/quote]

Thanks for that. On the surface it looks like a NO I can't ride a 125 on car license but I'm still confused as to me it says...."someone who wants to ride a m/bike/scooter etc of more than 50cc FOR THE FIRST TIME" and I'm not a first timer. Am I being thick over this

[quote user="Riggy"][quote user="cooperlola"]

[/quote] Thanks for that. On the surface it looks like a NO I can't ride a 125 on car license but I'm still confused as to me it says...."someone who wants to ride a m/bike/scooter etc of more than 50cc FOR THE FIRST TIME" and I'm not a first timer. Am I being thick over this[/quote]It is my suspicion that this is where the proof that you have ridden/owned a 125 for the past two years has come in - as happened to Dave.  Without the proof, you may well be stuffed.[:(]

Thanks Ken.I apologise (to all involved) if I am taking time getting to the point of complete understanding of what I need to do next, but I have been out of the world of biking and legislation for a while and I didn't think I was going to have any trouble getting back on two wheels.

There is much conflicting information here and also on the other forum where I posted same as even now, someone has posted an official website saying I only need 3 hours re-training. Am sifting through it all but just want to get back on the road.

Riggy.

For the OP , am I missing something here ? Why make it more complicated that what it really is ?? From the replies you have had it is quite simple......

1. Make contact with a driving school and take 7 hours of training .

2. Then you will get your attestaion and can ride your bike .

Here is the LAW on this subject:

http://www.motoservices.com/scooter/Arrete-2010-1390-formation-conditions-requises-conduite-125-cm3-2k11003.htm

It looks to me (I don't speak legal-ese but my French is reasonable) as though there used to be a shorter training option but that this was changed on the 1st Jan this year.  Thus I wonder if the person on the other forum was just a little out of date?  I think that's the most likely scenario given how recent this was. 

The law appears to me to say that if you took the old shorter training course then you can still ride a 125; if you can prove you've ridden in the last five years you're OK.  Otherwise, it's the 7 hours or nothing. 

If you doubt this then maybe get a French friend to look at the law for you and give his/her opinion.  Or wait for Sunday Driver to come along as he's really good at this stuff.[:)]

"Article 2

A compter du 1er janvier 2011, la formation prévue à l'article 1er est d'une durée de sept heures.
Les conducteurs ayant suivi une formation pratique de trois heures, initialement prévue par l'arrêté du 27 novembre 2008 relatif à l'obligation de formation pratique pour la conduite des motocyclettes légères par les titulaires de la catégorie B du permis de conduire dans sa rédaction en vigueur au 31 décembre 2010, conservent le bénéfice de ses effets."

"Article 8 

Le conducteur de motocyclettes légères, titulaire du permis de conduire de la catégorie B, est exempté de la formation prévue au présent arrêté s'il justifie d'une pratique de ce type de véhicule au cours des cinq dernières années avant le 1er janvier 2011."

If you have a Cat B French licence you can ride a scooter/m/cycle up to 125cc

PROVIDED

THe person has held a Cat B licence for 2 years

and

They go on a course.

Since 1st Jan 2011 this course is 7 hours.

There is an exemption for people who have driven a scooter/m/cycle for 5 years and who can prove this by means of a certificate from their assurance coy.

The 7 hour course comprises

A theory part of 2 hours about the correct equepment, the most frequent causes of accidents driving in the rain and at night

2 hours driving to get to know the vehicle and its characteristics\

3 hours driving in town and out of town

Thank you both for the patience and understanding. As you both say, recent regs make it appear I'm stuffed re just climbing on board again and will have to do the 7 hour jobby. Funny thing is, if I'd have bought and insured a bike over here using English license, I probably would have had proof of experience and insurance....before I handed my licenses over for exchange. Funny ole world innit!

[quote user="Riggy"]Cheers!

B T W, I can't seem to find an option to update my profile.....anyone point the way please?

Riggy.[/quote]

click your username at the top of the page where it says 'Welcome Back Riggy'