French Coach driver rules

Here is an interesting question.

We had a coach (bus...not an "Athletics Coach" although there were plenty of them as well) yesterday for an athletics competition. The driver picked is up at 07:00 and we got to the event at 10:30 after a 15 minute break on the way. When we were ready to leave after the event finished 17:30, he said he wasn't allowed to move the coach until 19:30. Consequently (as he got lost on the way back and we got to see some lovely french countryside in the Tarn area) we got back at midnight.

Does anyone know why he has to park up for 9 hrs? All he did all day was watch DVD's. I asked our French athletics friends and they did the usual shrug and said it was a law.

No harm done in the end, just a very long day.

Thanks Anton

It ties in with him doing the school run first thing this morning.  Apparently, so the kids say, he's a grumpy so-and-so as well and they don't like it when he drives them.

According to one of the Athletics coaches, at one competition, the bus driver said in the middle of the afernoon that if they didn't leave before 16:00 they would have to stay until 20:00, so they made the decision to leave and some of the kids, who had only gone for one late race, didn't get to compete.

Another nail in the coffin of customer service

I do hope that the drivers "needs" were factored into the price the coach company charged! If they gave a discount because he could not provide a proper service and it was known about in advance, then it isn't a problem. If he just decided on the day, then I think a complaint needs to go in!