Tread depth and wiper blades

JohnRoss

Would someone be so kind as to remind me what is the minimum tread depth acceptable for the control technique. Is this an average or at any single point?

Also while I understand that the state of the windscreen wiper blades is part of the test does that also apply to the rear window wiper blade? Got a test on the old banger Tuesday and don't want to spend more than I have to just at the moment. .........JR

1.6mm over 3/4 of the tyre width but when you get down to that stage clearly there is some room for interpretation by individual testers.

Not sure about rear wipers, I think not but it would likely only earn you an advisory, not a contra visite anyway.

Thanks for the replies folks. Afraid the link HERE does not seem to work. Does the spare have to be ok as well as while the tread is ok there are some small cracks near one edge of the tread not in the wall?.........JR

The CT report advises you of things which do not mean a failure or a return visit. The next list of items require a return visit within two months with the fault corrected.

The failure I had which was severe brake imbalance at the rear did not require the car to be low loaded and I could drive it to the garage to have it fixed before a contra visit.

Agree with separation of test and repair work

To be blunt, anyone who fails a CT or gets a contra visite for something as cheap and easy to fix as knackered wiper blades deserves it !

A CT is a check that a car IS roadworthy not a fingers crossed punt to find out why it isn't. Hidden or unforseen faults are one thing but wiper blades....................no.

Ok well it, Renault Megane, had the test today at Securitest and there were problems with the tyres. I went over them with a depth gage before the test and they looked to be just within the 1.6 mm but one or two spots were showing wear on the markers. The bloke said get the front two tyres replaced and come back for free within the two months and put a sticker on the carte grise to that effect.

The report says for Défauts à corriger avec contre-visite 5.3.2.1.4. PNEUMATIQUE: Usure importante et/ou différence importante d'usure sur l'essieu AVG. With différence importante d'usure sur crossed through in ink.

Under Défauts à corriger sans contre-visite 5.2.4.1.1. DEMI-TRAIN AV (Y COMPRIS ANCRAGES): Jeu mineur rotule et/ou articulation INFD I have no idea what that is but maybe something to do with a ball joint?

5.3.1.4.2. ROUE: Montage inadapté du pneumatique AVG, ARD, AVD, ARG Again anyone shed light on this?

5.3.2.1.3. PNEUMATIQUE: Usure irrégulière AVG, AVD, ARG Uneven wear?

So any suggestions folks I don't want to go to a garage and let them have carte blanche to rip me off but I will get new tyres on the front from a local tyre place.......JR

PS I know what AVG and AVD etc means.

Thanks for the info but if I go to http://www.controle-technique.org/points/ I cannot find any of the points listed in my post above apart from 5.3.2.4.1.1 and I am none the wiser. What I really need to know are what are these things and if they are important and if they are how much they will cost me to get fixed. No point in going to a garage as they are bound to say that they are even if they are not! Speak from experience here!

This car spends 99% of the time parked in the garden and I think given the fact that it is 10 years old it might be better to get the tyres replaced so I can get it through the C.T. and then get rid of it though on the odd occasion it has proved useful to have two vehicles. So what I need to know is what are theses things listed in Défauts à corriger sans contre-visite in English so I can research them...............JR

Thanks he did say one of the tyres was of a different type. Must be the spare which I put on the front recently. Replacement should fix that problem. But what are DEMI-TRAIN AV (Y COMPRIS ANCRAGES): Jeu mineur rotule et/ou articulation INFD?..............JR

5.3.2.1.4. PNEUMATIQUE: Usure importante et/ou différence importante d'usure sur l'essieu AVG. With différence importante d'usure sur crossed through in ink.

Excess wear on left hand front tyre.

5.2.4.1.1. DEMI-TRAIN AV (Y COMPRIS ANCRAGES): Jeu mineur rotule et/ou articulation INFD.

Minor play on lower right hand ball joint.

5.3.1.4.2. ROUE: Montage inadapté du pneumatique AVG, ARD, AVD, ARG.

Incorrect tyre fitting.  Examples are tubed tyres mounted on tubeless rims, rotation direction not respected.

5.3.2.1.3. PNEUMATIQUE: Usure irrégulière AVG, AVD, ARG

Irregular wear on both front tyres and rear left tyre.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]Thanks he did say one of the tyres was of a different type. Must be the spare which I put on the front recently. Replacement should fix that problem. But what are DEMI-TRAIN AV (Y COMPRIS ANCRAGES): Jeu mineur rotule et/ou articulation INFD?..............JR[/quote]

Sorry but was posting on a cadastral thread. good luck with your CT.

[quote user="JohnRoss"]Thanks SD. "Minor play on lower right hand ball joint" Something to do with track/control rods and steering alignment? Might account for uneven wear. If not dangerous I think I will leave it..........JR[/quote]

It's the lower wishbone arm ball joint.

[quote user="AnOther"]To be blunt, anyone who fails a CT or gets a contra visite for something as cheap and easy to fix as knackered wiper blades deserves it !

A CT is a check that a car IS roadworthy not a fingers crossed punt to find out why it isn't. Hidden or unforseen faults are one thing but wiper blades....................no.

[/quote]

AnOther - you're absolutely right. I wasn't complaining just stating facts which might help answer someone else'e questions. In fact it also got a contra-visite on some other stuff too. But wiper blades - yep, pure laziness!

Derf - I didn't ask a question, merely pointed out what my proces-verbal states, and it's absolutely clear on that that the wiper blades require a contra-visite. They are in place and work, just worn. The link you quoted seems to say that I shouldn't have a contra-visite for that but frankly I'm not going to argue with the guy at the centre over it.

Lou

"Derf - I didn't ask a question, merely pointed out what my proces-verbal

states, and it's absolutely clear on that that the wiper blades require

a contra-visite. They are in place and work, just worn. The link you

quoted seems to say that I shouldn't have a contra-visite for that but

frankly I'm not going to argue with the guy at the centre over it."

And I was refering to the original poster.

Apologies Derf, I misunderstood and thought you were referring/replying to me.

I suppose we are all have experiences in France where the "rule-book" says one thing, and what happens in real life is another...!! I guess if this had a been the only contra-visite item for me I might have queried it

Lou