Trailer insurance / assurannce d'une remorque

Mark_France

Hey folks, my present assurance won't do a quote on the trailer I am wanting to buy. The trailer will be 2000kg rated and braked so the standard 750kg trailer assurance won't apply. I can't find an online assurer that does a devis and I'm overseas at the moment so I can't pop into a local agence. Can anyone recommend a company based on their service/price? Also what might I expect to pay per year. Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I do intend to have it registered in France and it will be done correctly with a correct Cert of Conformity and all the necessary steps needed to become a French based trailer. My assurance replied as follows, 'En revanche Amaguiz ne propose pas pour le moment d'assurance pour les remorques de plus de 750kg poids total en charge.' I think it may be they just don't deal in trailer insurance. I'll contact that guy Nick if my French girlfriend doesn't uncover something first.

As you appear a knowledgeable sort of person can you see how I can overcome this issue? I want to bring said trailer (new/virgin) from the UK Ifor Williams dealer to France, driving my French registered car with French plates (of course).

What steps can I take to get it to France? As it is new it won't have been registered, hence it won't have a number. Can it be brought to France by having some temp WW plates pre-issued to get me back to France prior to having it registered correctly? You see the problem?

Reason why I buying in the UK. I want to go empty but return full. My local French dealer was not helpful when I tried to buy from him and the French price was much higher than the UK price (plus he wouldn't budge a cm on the list price). Much as I would like to support my local French businesses some of them don't merit the effort.

I was thinking about the conditions for importing a new vehicle possibly creating a problem.

"For a new vehicle bought in another EU member state, the TVA must be paid in France unless the French Fiscal Services are provided with the original receipt stating that VAT has been paid and, and there is proof of a valid foreign registration of the vehicle. (A new vehicle is one that was first registered less than six months before or has not been driven more than 6,000 Km.)"

If trailers are treated as "vehicles", there will be no proof of foreign registration to comply with the above conditions, as it is not possible to register a trailer in UK.

Looks like a possible opportunity for bureaucratic problems. To be fair, I think these arise mostly from fear of doing something wrong, rather than from malice, on the part of the warm bodies sitting behind desks in the Prefectures.

Be a little careful with the iFor Williams C of C from UK, although it might be an

identical trailer the weights will be expressed differently and it may contain other nuances which make it unacceptable to the prefecture meaning a visit to the

DRIRE/DREAL.

I note for instance that the photos of trailers on both the the UK and French web sites are, for the most part, identical and show no 'pare cycliste' bars which would be mandatory here so you would have to purchase and fit them.

This document refers:

http://cnrsm.creteil.iufm.fr/c_ressources_cnrsm/2_dosiers_techniques/208_site_remorque/site%20remorque/e_ressources/drire/CRR11-00.pdf

Thanks for that. That is a very good point. I have since been trawling the internet to try to find an image that is of a French registered Ifor Williams trailer to spot those 'pare cyclistes' I think this could be a real stumbling block. Not sure if Ifor Williams UK will sell me a French spec trailer or whether I can get the thing modified before visiting the DRIRE (what might a DRIRE visit cost) and would the correctly made modification count as being okay? I certainly don't want to buy and have a nightmare. When I think of some of those home made trailers I have seen running around my part of France......

• 2 weeks later...
I got my pare cycliste bars from Blue line trailers in Boston, fitted them myself and they were quite Ok at the DREAL inspection. However, one year on I am still stuck with a box trailer I am paying insurance on but cannot use because the drawbar assembly was not accepted by the guy at Bordeaux. I thought I had a certificate of conformity, but it turns out the drawbar had not been passed and thus had no magic homologation number on it. Blue Line trailers are in process of obtaining full conformity for all their trailers, - I'm still waiting, but they say the drawbar has passed but I will have to wait until they have the whole trailer conformity before I can use the number. GRRR!! They've had several box trailers like ours registered in France with no problems in other regions. The annoying thing is that the drawbar is identical to most other large trailers I've seen both in UK and in France, we just hit the jobsworth at the DREAL in Bordeaux..

Insurance - we had to give up with Amaguiz because they wouldn't insure a large trailer. BTW we never got charged for removal of the Amaguiz antivol tracker - we do wonder whether it was ever actually fitted?

Just an update on insurance costs. I found the MAAF would do it for 48 euros/year but they wanted me to take either their house or their car insurance at my next annual renewal. This quote was for a trailer PTAC 2700kg braked twin axle, value 3000 euros on it's own carte grise. So bottom line not too expensive

[quote user="AnOther"]You should not be having to pay insurance on an unregistered trailer ![/quote]

I know, but the problem was we had to get it insured to tow it to the inspection last year - and since then I've been waiting for the magic 'go' signal from Blueline - they said February, then April, then June...We have to take the trailer back for a second visit, as M Garandel wants a second numberplate bulb ( WHY ????) and also the full 17 digit chassis number stamped on the trailer instead of the existing 6 digit one.

I don't think you can cancel French insurance mid term anyway, or am I wrong in that?