F1 is crap

Dave&Olive

Don't know why Jenson bothers with qualifying. He seems to do much better starting at the back.

Great drive. Amazing that he could find that much extra speed, especially when the team had said they weren't competitive with Red Bull and Ferrari in pure speed terms.

Vettel did almost everything right again. Tempting to say that Hamilton did quite the opposite, but he's a racer, went for the gap and the gap was filled by Button's car who clearly hadn't seen him coming through.

The racing bits certainly made up for the tedium of the safety car laps.

[quote user="Bugsy"]You should have watched the Moto-GP at Silverstone, far more exciting and far less prima-donnas.

.[/quote]

I watched the boring race with a handful of riders from cold wet bumpy featureless Silvertone. I refuse to return even if it one of the closest tracks to where I lived in UK.

GP2 was slightly better but the TT was far better,.

We have BSB to look forward to this weekend far more exciiting than MotoGP.

[quote user="Dog"][quote user="Bugsy"]You should have watched the Moto-GP at Silverstone, far more exciting and far less prima-donnas.

.[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't argue with that. Bradley Smiths ride from 28th to 2nd place was inspirational.

Is there anyone anywhere not wishing for Guy Martin to have his first win. 4 seconds after six laps put him into second place in the Senior.

[quote user="Bugsy"][quote user="Dog"][quote user="Bugsy"]You should have watched the Moto-GP at Silverstone, far more exciting and far less prima-donnas. .[/quote]

[/quote]
I wouldn't argue with that. Bradley Smiths ride from 28th to 2nd place was inspirational.

Is there anyone anywhere not wishing for Guy Martin to have his first win. 4 seconds after six laps put him into second place in the Senior.

[/quote]

Yeah, but don't you think he will have to pedal like stink to win it on his new bike.

http://www.hopetech.com/

Bugsy" "You should have watched the Moto-GP at Silverstone, far more exciting and far less prima-donnas."

But slower despite the bravery of the riders.

This from a 2010 enthusiasts' forum:

"Moto GP lap times around silverstone recently were just over 2 minutes.

Just looked at the F1 practice times from today, and they are around 1min 30seconds.

Are the cars using a shorter circuit....because they can't possible be 30seconds faster than the bikes?

Downforce through the corners, later braking. Television doesn't do F1 justice - the things are beyond logic. A formula 1 car can drive upside down at 120mph+ and it wouldn't fall off the upside down track - if you know what I mean! Still have two wheeels too many though....

For what its worth, the F1 cars break 150 meters later into one of the Silverstone corners, and some of the corners are flat out 6th gear bends for cars, but 4th or 5th gear knee down jobbies for bikes. The difference is amazing. "

On a clear road with bends, I've never had a problem keeping up with bikes

but I've always felt relatively vulnerable on a bike.

Steve

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]

Don't know why Jenson bothers with qualifying. He seems to do much better starting at the back.

Great drive. Amazing that he could find that much extra speed, especially when the team had said they weren't competitive with Red Bull and Ferrari in pure speed terms.

Vettel did almost everything right again. Tempting to say that Hamilton did quite the opposite, but he's a racer, went for the gap and the gap was filled by Button's car who clearly hadn't seen him coming through.

The racing bits certainly made up for the tedium of the safety car laps.

[/quote]

If you were going for it wouldn't you rather do it with Jensens style? class act from Mr cool, as opposed to Ali oops, not my fault ..

[quote user="Sc"]Bugsy" "You should have watched the Moto-GP at Silverstone, far more exciting and far less prima-donnas."

Just looked at the F1 practice times from today, and they are around 1min 30seconds.

Are the cars using a shorter circuit....because they can't possible be 30seconds faster than the bikes?

Downforce through the corners, later braking. Television doesn't do F1 justice - the things are beyond logic. A formula 1 car can drive upside down at 120mph+ and it wouldn't fall off the upside down track - if you know what I mean! Still have two wheeels too many though....

For what its worth, the F1 cars break 150 meters later into one of the Silverstone corners, and some of the corners are flat out 6th gear bends for cars, but 4th or 5th gear knee down jobbies for bikes. The difference is amazing. "

Steve[/quote]

As virtually every word you have posted is on here I'm wondering if this is just a 'cut & shut'.

[quote user="Sc"]

On a clear road with bends, I've never had a problem keeping up with

bikes ....................[/quote]

Strange comment that ..................

I'd like to see anything with 4 wheels lap the IoM TT circuit at an average speed of 131 mph.

Stuff of dreams that.

I think you are all missing the real racing that took place last weekend, the Le Mans 24 hours. After 24 hours of flat out racing the winning margin was around 15 seconds. It is no longer the sedate 24 hour endurance run but a 24 hour sprint race with speeds of well over 230mph down Mulsanne, with the complication of mobile chicanes running in the much slower classes.

Looking forward to next year already.

Sadly I believe it would'nt be difficult for cars to lap IOM at 130+. But that is not what the IOMTT is about.

I just looked for some bike v car times at the Nurburgring (which I love having done it quite a few times on a bike) sadly there is no direct recent comparison as they do not close the circuit for bikes as they do for cars.

My research shows the quickest around most  track are SuperKarts but they should really up the engines from 250cc two strokes to 4 stroke 4 cylinder bikes in my opinion.

I have been toying with putting one of those twin front wheel scooter front ends on a CBR600 it would be interesting to say the least, not having to bother about pushing the front end.

[quote user="Paulhogan"]I think you are all missing the real racing that took place last weekend, the Le Mans 24 hours. After 24 hours of flat out racing the winning margin was around 15 seconds. It is no longer the sedate 24 hour endurance run but a 24 hour sprint race with speeds of well over 230mph down Mulsanne, with the complication of mobile chicanes running in the much slower classes. Looking forward to next year already.[/quote]Here, here.

Great race this year - every class was pretty close and  German, British, US and French wins.  Great stuff.  LM Story in a fortnight.  Spa 24 at the end of next month.  I've never managed to do the Nordschleife as it's always on top of LM but I will one day.

Who needs F1?

Sadly didn't get them on camera though (another irritating by-product of my little smash is that I tend to be confined to the same places every time I go now).  Happily nobody was fatally injured - the worst thing was a broken pelvis - not nice but not fatal.

Whichever motor sport is televised I think it should be applauded, unfortunately watching Le mans on the Peugeot web site could have been better, but thanks to the radio stream I heard about the poor sportsmanship of the Peugeot three laps down preventing the lead Audi from passing, though to be honest my interest waned anyway when the new Aston retired.

I really thought that JH's comments were based on his own supposition rather than any facts.  Yes, Gene was well out of order but the idea that the orders came from above rather than it being pure frustration on his part because the Pug was clearly slower than the Audi, nobody knows unless they live inside Gene's head.

As per, the races at the front  were as nothing compared to the other classes which were fascinating.  Couldn't really give a wotzit about the big teams - much more fun to be had watching the minor classes which is why you need to BE THERE, jj[:D].

[quote user="Sc"]Bugsy" "You should have watched the Moto-GP at Silverstone, far more exciting and far less prima-donnas."

Steve[/quote]

Very interesting, and most of it wrong!

This years Moto GP was on a circuit that the F1 cars are yet to run on I believe, even the pits have been totally rebuilt since last years Grand Prix.

F1 cars can "theoritically" drive upside down, but can't in actuality. The minimum wieght is I believe currently 650 Kgs (forgive me, it's some years since I worked for Bernie Ecclestone), and the downforce generated can be up to 2800 kgs.

F1 cars well within 50 metres of the apex, I don't think Moto GP bikes are far off that, but front/rear balance, and the damage carbon brakes are doing to the riders forearms is the problem rather than simply being "poorer" brakes., but I be staggered if the bikes brake that much further back the an F1 car.

I would concur, having been one of the people that used to plan camera and microphone placement, that TV slows the cars visually, a problem that could be solved with more cameras, allowing them to be mounted lower.

By the time F1 returns to Silvertsone I think the cars will have lost the blown difusers, throttle off exhausts and the variable engine mapping, but the likes of Adrian Newey will find a way to get it all back!