Changing headlamps for CT

CeeJay

[quote user="powerdesal"]BMW have had the facility for years. ............[/quote]

Is that why BMWs are so expensive?  [Www] You pay for a feature which most users will never have a need for, apart from the occasional holiday trip etc when "beam benders" will do the job for a fiver. I really don't understand the thinking behind it. Why is it such a great idea?

On the other hand I can see an advantage when importing a UK car to France; flick the lever and the lights are realigned. However, the flaw in the convenience myth is that there's no little lever to switch the steering whee and pedalsl to the other side is there? [blink] Drat!

Bottom line, I prefer to have a LHD car here in France, and I don't get spotted as a Brit ex-pat into the bargain (until I open my mouth). [8-|]

• 7 months later...
[quote user="Citroënesque"]Ouch. That's why breakers yard are a good place. Depends if you're up to swapping over the units yourself... (or know a friendly local who can for Pastis money :)

I got a pair of LHD lights (to swap over for the times I travel to France) for my late model Citroën XM for €25 each.

Good tip about the insurance though... but does it not equate to making a claim with the subsequent review of premium?

[/quote]

Sorry, meant to include the above in my previous post.

[quote user="sid"]Is that why BMWs are so expensive?  [Www] You pay for a feature which most users will never have a need for, apart from the occasional holiday trip etc when "beam benders" will do the job for a fiver. I really don't understand the thinking behind it. Why is it such a great idea?[/quote]It's quite possible that the cost of manufacturing one adaptable headlight is equal to or cheaper than producing LHD & RHD versions.

My life time experience of changing headlamps to dip the other way ;

Ford Anglia 105E, Ford Cortina Mk 1 Estate, Ford Cortina Mk 2 GT Estate. Round yellow units with a prism held on with clips and rubber springs which resembled suspenders.

Renault 4L and Renault 10. Open bonnet take off back of headlamp turn bulb about 15 degrees and get on with holiday.

Rover 2000 and Datsun 1600 SSS.

Move inner dipped beam to outside of car on left. Replace main beam units with LHD dipping units. Install relays to ensure dipped beam points one way or the other.

Peugeot 306 New Headlamps

Jaguar X type 2005 – open bonnet and turn black lever

I always hope somebody will post saying how easy it is

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Renault 4L and Renault 10. Open bonnet take off back of headlamp turn bulb about 15 degrees and get on with holiday.

[/quote]

thats what I have done with a bit of bidouillage on dozens of vehicles so far with H4 bulbs

Oh well it was nice while it lasted - when I took the car for its new CT it failed, due to the headlights! The man explained that as the car had a UK registration and UK papers when he first saw it he was able to pass it. That CT was so we could French register it; so now that it has French plates and a CG he says we have to change the headlights to LHD ones. [:(]

[quote user="Rob Roy"]The man explained that as the car had a UK registration and UK papers when he first saw it he was able to pass it. That CT was so we could French register it; so now that it has French plates and a CG he says we have to change the headlights to LHD ones. [:(][/quote]

Sounds like pure flannel to me. A CT should be a CT regardless of what plates are on the car. I think the truth of the matter is that they shouldn't really have passed it first time round but did you a favour but we know they have tightened up on lights and it's rare to get a pass with deflectors any more.

Still, you've had 2 years to save up for replacements [:D][:D][:D]

[quote user="Rob Roy"]

[quote user="crossy67"][quote user="NickP"] Most modern cars are now fitted with headlights that can be switched over from behind the lights.[/quote]

Eh?  Tell me more, I have never heard of this.  Any lists of cars with this facility please.
[/quote]

My husband did exactly this with my Citreon C5, then I asked the man at the CT station if he would be kind enough to adjust the level of the beam before doing the CT. Sorted!

[/quote]

We didn't have deflectors (see my post above) but I think it has to do with the actual glass?

Anton said: "My life time experience of changing headlamps to dip the other way ;

Ford Anglia 105E, Ford Cortina Mk 1 Estate, Ford Cortina Mk 2 GT Estate. Round yellow units with a prism held on with clips and rubber springs which resembled suspenders. "

Aah, suspenders.......

That brings back memories! We covered over 3000 miles in France and Switzerland in a 105E in 1970 with the yellow beam benders. The springs were black elastic ribbon so even more like suspenders Anton.........

After the beam from the ubiquitous 7" Lucas's had been bent to the left by the glass lens and then to the right and turned yellow by the beam bender there wasn't a lot of light left on dip, however there was probably as much visibility as all those 2cv drivers had.

Our Anglia, which was considerably modified, attracted a lot of attention, mostly because it had seatbelts, and the only car which entered into the spirit of things was a sporty rear engined Simca (its rear wheels at about 45* negative camber!) through the Tarn Gorge. Most 2cvs though, were driven at speeds on single carriageway roads, that were no different to today's speeds. Doubtless the accident stats were somewhat worse....

Steve

Sometime in the early 70s St Galen in Switzerland to Ostend in Belgium. Followed an Opel Comodore for twenty minutes with a Renault 4L. Finally was bored and overtook in the inside into a down hill right hander. Did not bother with the brakes for the next half hour by which time the Opel was a distant memory.

Only comment from my mother 'Dad would have done it at least three bends earlier'