Changing headlamps for CT

CeeJay

As a matter of interest for those who are contemplating registering a UK vehicle here in FRance, I have just had the headlamps changed from UK to French at my local Peugeot garage prior to the CT.

For a Peugeot 807 the cost for the two headlamps was 300Euros each and a further 29.40 for fitting.

However, when I went to pay the bill I was told that if the car was insured by a French company they would pay the cost! Unfortunately it's still insured by Saga!!

Ouch. That's why breakers yard are a good place. Depends if you're up to swapping over the units yourself... (or know a friendly local who can for Pastis money :)

I got a pair of LHD lights (to swap over for the times I travel to France) for my late model Citroën XM for €25 each.

Good tip about the insurance though... but does it not equate to making a claim with the subsequent review of premium?

[quote user="Citroënesque"]Good tip about the insurance though... but does it not equate to making a claim with the subsequent review of premium?
[/quote]This has come up before and it seems to be under the Glass replacement bit which on some policies does not affect no claims (MAAF have protected no claims btw, - rare in this country.)

As far as I am concerned deliberately breaking your headlamps in order to swop to LHD amounts to theft, obtaining pecuniary advantage by deceit or fraud. I am not by nature or inclination goody goody and have probably ( forget probably definitely) done things which would cause must forum users pubes to turn white overnight.

edit to exclude probably.

As far as I am concerned deliberately breaking your

headlamps in order to swop to LHD amounts to theft, obtaining pecuniary

advantage by deceit or fraud

What on earth are you talking about.........nobody, and certainly not me, has mentioned deliberately breaking headlamps. It was merely a report of what someone else had told me in good faith as a matter of fact. I'm sorry, but I take exception to this innuendo and I am by nature and inclination a goody goody.

As a senior police officer of 30yrs standing I hope to know right from wrong.

[quote user="Citroënesque"]Don't know what planet Anton is from! Nobody suggested anything like you suggest. Unbelievable.[:(]
[/quote]

Ah the wonders of not being face to face or even actually speaking. Cannot ask questions, cannot read the body language. All you can do is assume which obviously Anton has.

So easy to type something on a forum or in an email.

Paul

My apologies for mistaking criminality for naivety.

The only way I have heard of this working, or described on various forums, is that people claim the headlamps were broken by stones and then claim for replacement headlamps.

No insurance company that I am aware of would take on a RHD car and offer glass cover with no excess for € 150 annual premium only to pick up a € 300 bill next week.

[quote user="Ceejay"]As far as I am concerned deliberately breaking your headlamps in order to swop to LHD amounts to theft, obtaining pecuniary advantage by deceit or fraud

What on earth are you talking about.........nobody, and certainly not me, has mentioned deliberately breaking headlamps. It was merely a report of what someone else had told me in good faith as a matter of fact. I'm sorry, but I take exception to this innuendo and I am by nature and inclination a goody goody.
As a senior police officer of 30yrs standing I hope to know right from wrong.
[/quote]

Unfortunately Ceejay your last sentence is a bit questionable, being policeman does not mean that you are automatically "innocent" as has been proved many times.   [:D]

This method of getting headlights changed over (breakage) has been discussed many times on forums, and I quite agree with Anton it's fraud. Most modern cars are now fitted with headlights that can be switched over from behind the lights.

Mercedes do, I change mine every time I cross the channel, and if Mercs do it you can bet your bottom dollar BMW and Audi will. I enquired last year at Citroen's in England and they said no. Most modern cars have projector head lights and the glass has no deflector lines etched into it.

Audi does.

However, I'm not at all convinced that this is acceptable for the CT. Flicking the lever certainly removes the "kick-up" to the left, but doesn't put one on the right, at least on mine.

I now never bother to flick it back in thhe UK, partly because it's impossible to reach the lever when the engine's hot!

A kick up to the right on the dipped beam pattern is not required for the CT test, modern cars with projector lamps have a flat beam pattern.

A kick up to the right under a certain angle is permitted but the rest of the beam must remain flat.

Idem UK MOT but recto verso.

The UK MOT has changed and it no longer checks for the 'kick up'.

My car failed its MOT because of the pattern. I just put new bulbs in and it passed.

Took my wifes car in for an MOT and the chap commented that my car would now pass as it was last year because that part of the test had been discontinued.

Paul

Ceejay said "As a matter of interest for those who are contemplating registering a UK vehicle here in FRance, I have just had the headlamps changed from UK to French at my local Peugeot garage prior to the CT. For a Peugeot 807 the cost for the two headlamps was 300Euros each and a further 29.40 for fitting. However, when I went to pay the bill I was told that if the car was insured by a French company they would pay the cost! Unfortunately it's still insured by Saga!!

I wish I had known that two years ago. I had to change both headlamps on my Peugeot 407 Coupe (RHD) and it hurt. 2300 Euros! I rang my UK dealer to check and they said that all Peugeot parts had shot up in price and if I had the job done in the UK it would cost at least £1900.

How in Heaven's name two headlamps cost so much is beyond me despite the fact that they have a mechanism that adjusts to which way you are steering.

• 3 weeks later...
I contacted Peugeot in UK regarding changing my headlamp units on my 407 which has halogeon units.

I was advised that there were adjustment levers behind the headlamp unit which enabled the light to be set for Continetal Touring.

I moved the lever according to instructions and have passed the CT in France twice with no problems.

I believe the lights are self leveling and do not have an offset but have a lower spread in front of the car. I had made enquiries as to the cost of replacement headlamp units and needed emergency recucitation as I was quoted btwen 2500 to 3000 pounds.

[quote user="crossy67"][quote user="NickP"] Most modern cars are now fitted with headlights that can be switched over from behind the lights.[/quote]

Eh?  Tell me more, I have never heard of this.  Any lists of cars with this facility please.
[/quote]

My husband did exactly this with my Citreon C5, then I asked the man at the CT station if he would be kind enough to adjust the level of the beam before doing the CT. Sorted!