Insuring english car?

Thebiga

We want to return to the UK and buy a car and bring it back to France so that a short time later we can return to the uk to live.

Now how do these people seem to be able to get there english plated car insured in France? I thought it was illegal? My insurance company will not insure a car without a Carte Grise. Does anyone know a way around this without having to register the vehicle here for a couple of months and take it back and do it all again in the uk? Thankyou

Which means buying a old french car which is still going to cost over the odds just to get back to the uk and have to scrap it!

We have a very nice french car we have to sell as its no good having a left hand drive really in the uk so its going which then leaves us with no car. We are going back for a short trip soon and it would have been very handy to have picked something up and brought it back to france then sell the nice car and return to the uk with the uk one. You see my problem. It looks like having to bring over a car and register it and new headlinghts etc only to have to go through it all again after just a few months but if thats what we have to do to save money in the long run then we will.

I still think you're making it hard for yourself by trying to do things in the wrong order. Surely you aren't going to wait until you get off the ferry the other side to find somewhere to live? So, sell your French car as late as possible, by which time you will hopefully have a UK address, then bob's your uncle, you can pop back and buy a UK car and insure it no hassle. You'll even have somewhere in the UK to stay while you do it

It might sound like a plan but it doesn't really work does it.

The OP clearly has a buyer for his French car and he wants it now (else why the problem at all) so this next couple of months, and the eventual trip back to UK, have to be catered for somehow. There is also the hunt for a new car once in UK to consider, not easy by bus or train, would you want to do it ?

The only thing I can really suggest in the circumstances is insurance with the likes of Stuart Collins or Schreinemachers

[quote user="AnOther"]It might sound like a plan but it doesn't really work does it.

The OP clearly has a buyer for his French car and he wants it now (else why the problem at all) so this next couple of months, and the eventual trip back to UK, have to be catered for somehow. There is also the hunt for a new car once in UK to consider, not easy by bus or train, would you want to do it ?

The only thing I can really suggest in the circumstances is insurance with the likes of Stuart Collins or Schreinemachers

[/quote]Another possibility for the OP if he has friends/relations in the UK is to buy a UK car and use their address to insure it making sure the insurance company know the car will be in France for 1 or 2 months. A good broker should be able to find him legal insurance to cover him.

[quote user="Rabbie"]I did say to tell them the car and driver would be in France for the first 1/2 months so in real terms what untruth was being told?[/quote]Not sure what you mean by 'in real terms'.

In real terms the truth is the truth and a lie (or the omission of a material fact) is a lie. If you are non UK resident that is definitely a material fact and you would have no option but to disclose it.

When we went back and bought a car in the UK and brought it back here our (French) insurance company were willing to insure it for a maximum of three months whilst we got the CT and French registration sorted. But I don't know why you don't take the French car back to the UK with you and then either sell it there, or at a later date when you have your UK car bring it back and leave it to sell here, surely you know someone over here who could help you with that?

Alternatively, have you tried putting up as a 'swap' with someone who is coming to live in France?

Hi

I am in Portsmouth and own a used car sales company, www.northendmotors.co.uk. I buy and sell the odd LHD car. If you want to keep your French car and sell it when you arrive back in England, then let me know what you would like to get for it, I could buy it for the company or I may be interested for my own use, to leave at my house in France!

I am currently looking for an insurance company that will aloow me to leave a UK registered car in France and use it when I visit on holiday, maybe upto 8 weeks per year?

Anybody do something similar?

Kindest regards.

Tony

[quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="nomoss"]http://www.andrewcopeland.co.uk/gcm.htm[/quote]

The vehicle should be kept abroad for 11 months a year.

[/quote]

I give up. Utilisez votre pain.[/quote]

I see little point in recommending a site that does not help the OP one little bit. I quoted the second line of the advert, or are you saying that should be ignored?

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="nomoss"]

[quote user="Jay"][quote user="nomoss"]http://www.andrewcopeland.co.uk/gcm.htm[/quote]

[/quote]

I see little point in recommending a site that does not help the OP one little bit. I quoted the second line of the advert, or are you saying that should be ignored?

[/quote]

Jeez. It doesn't mean you have to keep it abroad for 11 months before they will insure it.

It means it can only be covered in UK for 1 month per year.

If you read further than the second line before jumping to a conclusion you might be a bit wiser. That might be something to remember in the future too.

Actually, if the car is in the UK more than a month cover will be reduced to minimum legal, but it will still be insured.

Please inform yourself properly before getting cute. [:D]

Jay.

In case you still don't understand, I'll try to make it even simpler for you.

Say you insure a UK reg car with Copeland, it can be in UK or in France when you do this.

You have a total cover of 1 month in UK after you take out the insurance.

So, after a couple of days you take it to France, where it will be covered for the next 11 months.

If you decide to take it back to UK you can take advantage of any remaining part of the 1 month cover there. You can use it longer but it will only have minimum cover.

If you have returned permanently to UK you cancel the policy and get a refund. You can find out how much refund by phoning Copeland.

[quote user="nomoss"][quote user="Jay"][quote user="nomoss"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Jeez. It doesn't mean you have to keep it abroad for 11 months before they will insure it.

It means it can only be covered in UK for 1 month per year.

If you read further than the second line before jumping to a conclusion you might be a bit wiser. That might be something to remember in the future too.

Actually, if the car is in the UK more than a month cover will be reduced to minimum legal, but it will still be insured.

Please inform yourself properly before getting cute. [:D]

[/quote]

There was me thinking I was quite cute!

Thanks for the simplistic answer, it is really appreciated. Had you said in the first place you expected the OP to fork out a full years premium for a couple of months then try to get some of the premium back from the insurance company when he returned to the UK I'm sure we would have understood the idea behind your one line, no explanation post. I'll try to read between the lines in future. Jeez I think you should give up!

Rather than reading further I shall just ignore your pathetic posts in future.

It would be interesting to know if the OP has resolved his problem since he hasn't posted anything more.

[quote user="Jay"]
There was me thinking I was quite cute![/quote]

You weren't, I thought your original one line put-down was rude

[quote user="Jay"]

Thanks for the simplistic answer, it is really appreciated. Had you said in the first place you expected the OP to fork out a full years premium for a couple of months then try to get some of the premium back from the insurance company when he returned to the UK I'm sure we would have understood the idea behind your one line, no explanation post. I'll try to read between the lines in future. Jeez I think you should give up![/quote]

I didn't realise simplistic answers were required. I assumed anyone interested would read the information provided on a the website and phone the company for any clarification they needed.

I have been using Copeland since the 1980's, but when you implied the insurance was not suitable for the OP, I called them to make sure it was.

Taking out a year's insurance and getting a partial refund when it is no longer needed is probably a better proposition than rates available for "a couple of months", even if you could find a company offering decent cover for an indefinite short period for a UK car used in France

[quote user="Jay"]

Rather than reading further I shall just ignore your pathetic posts in future.[/quote]

Ooooh!!