Taking english car back

Thebiga

Hello, I have the chance to buy a british car that has only just been brought over to france and CT'd and registered here. Of course when it was brought here DVLA were told like most people tell them that the car has been permantly exported to France.

Can anyone see me having a problem in buying and taking this car back and re-registering it in the uk again. I have looked at importing a car into the uk but is it the same when dvla have been told its not coming back? Also does anyone know where I can find a website of places where I can take a old car to scrap it so that I'm not paying the insurance on it anymore?

Thankyou in advance.

I did something very similar about 20 years ago. I took my car to the Netherlands for two years while I worked there. It was "permanently exported" and re-registered as a Dutch vehicle. It came back with me as a permant export from the Netherlands and I just went down to the nearest DVLC office (when these existed), filled in a form, handed it over, plus a fresh MOT certificate and the Dutch paperwork and was issued with a new log book and number.  In the eyes of the DVLA it is not the same car coming back but a foreign registered car being imported.

We did exactly the same towards the end of last year, and because the vehicle had only been french registered for a short time - to date it precisely, it was one of the first batch of 'new' numberplates - the local DVLA office was able to put it back on the British system, with its old number, and no need for certificates of conformity or any of the other stuff. All it took was one trip to Oxford, payment of a registration fee and the road fund licence fee, followed by a fairly long wait for the new V5C. The only potential problem was getting the MoT test done with the French number, but the garage used its former English one which was still on the national computer system.

Of course, not all DVLA offices might be as co-operative.

[quote user="Thebiga"]I have looked at importing a car into the uk but is it the same when dvla have been told its not coming back?[/quote]That's something of a non-question as you don't tell DVLA any such thing, you tell them that you are exporting, or have exported, a car and that's it. All exports are considered permanent but there is nothing to stop you re-importing at any time you like.