How much gravel do I need?

Viv

Rule of thumb appears to be for each 25-30 square metres you will need 1 ton of gravel for each inch of depth. (Sorry for mixing metric and imperial but this was how it was given to me.)

So if area is 10 metres by 6 metres (60 square metres) and you want a 3 inch depth of gravel, you would need between 6 and 7 tons of gravel. I think....

Looking at previous replies I would like to add that the best way to arrive at how much you require is to work out the area.....

width x length , in square metres and then multiply that by the depth of coverage.  With gravel it is best not to go too deep as it will end up like chesil beach !

I would normally give a covering of no more than 25 mm for a drive and even less for a path - depending on the size of the gravel which can and does vary a lot ! ( yes I am a landscape gardener/groundworker/builder)

Before spreading gravel you should make sure that your sub base is as level and as flat as you can make it - ideally with a weed membrane fitted to stop weeds pushing up through your nice gravel finish. Do not spead gravel onto plain dirt as it will just dissapear in time leaving a mass of weeds

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the help

I am going for a depth of about 5cm because the path is quite wide. Rough calculation is that we will need 70 metres x 1.5 metres x 5cm deep , so we hopefully will now be able to work out fairly accurate amount to have delivered.

From backbreaking experience I would suggest that you pour wine into glasses on the right hand and leave spades on the left. It may not work, but if you don't drink it, others will.

Then YOU drink the wine and persuade some other person to shift the gravel. Believe me (and anyone else who has been there and done it and has the Tshirt), spreading gravel will have you on your knees in no time. The more you spread, the less it looks...

[quote]Does anyone else see 1 of Caterham's posts after Miki's - ie. not in chronological order? Wierd - & happens allthe time, to me.... Edit - wierder - now his post appears after mine. I'm going to...[/quote]

If you get a server error message when you post, e.g. a timeout or similar, and then go back and re-post, you will often find that one of the posts gets stuck at the end of the topic and all you can do is go in to the 'edit' option and delete the post.

I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it often works like that.

I'd agree that one inch (2.5cm) is quite deep enough for gravel under normal circumstances. It doesn't sound a lot, but any deeper and it gets very difficult for anything like wheelbarrows, bikes etc.