SANEF doofah

tonyv

I have a telepéage doofah supplied by SANEF, which no longer wants to stick to the windscreen. I was going to stop by at a SANEF office to get the holder changed, but I've decided on a different route this time, which won't take me on a SANEF motorway.

So, if I went into one of the other operators, would they supply me with a (free) holder/sticky pad, or would they politely tell me it isn't their problem?

[quote user="tonyv"]I have a telepéage doofah supplied by SANEF, which no longer wants to stick to the windscreen. I was going to stop by at a SANEF office to get the holder changed, but I've decided on a different route this time, which won't take me on a SANEF motorway.

So, if I went into one of the other operators, would they supply me with a (free) holder/sticky pad, or would they politely tell me it isn't their problem?
[/quote]

To be totally honest Tony I would have thought that you are correct, they would politely tell you it isn't their problem. So why not buy a roll of double sided tape and clean the gunge off the holder, fit the tape and Bobs your auntie. As a matter of interest we have never stuck our Doofer on the windscreen anyway, we just wave it around as we approach the barrier. [:D] 

Had the same problem as you Tony except that although I regularly passed the offices they were always closed.  Double sided tape did the job for 3 to 6 months (less in summer when it is hot).  I've done the waving in the air job too - rather dangerous if you are on your own.

I am not sure about Pierre's comments because the doofers have changed from being the size of a cigarette box to the size of a thick credit card.  If you have the latter, you could try just going in and saying that you have a problem with the holder ungluing - decoller.

If you don't say it's not their doofer, they may not ask.

Most French I know don't stick the Doofah on their windscreen, as it is an invitation to get it stolen. Instead they just wave it in front of the windscreen as they drive through.

When you are next in town look around and see how many French cars you can spot with Doofahs stuck to the windscreen.

Most French round our way don't use auto routes barely travel anywhere outside of work, shops and friends. Some have never been abroad.

Judging by the queues at the tolls many don't have doofers, it suits my RHD car and van saves all that fussing so I am happy and mine is stuck on. A little bit of double sided foam tape, same stuff the number plate is held on with.

Thanks, everyone for all the advice.

My doofah is fag-packet size.

The original sticky lasted for three years, after which I tried the double-sided spongy tape, which, as with Andy's experience, lasted just a few months. I think the number-plate sticky must be a more long-lasting compound, so maybe I'll just pop into Halfords, and get some of that; thanks for the suggestion Théière. I seem to recall it's quite expensive, though!

I tried the "wave as required" technique when I had a rental vehicle, but found it less than convenient, and certainly wouldn't want to do it if I'm driving solo.

[quote user="Sprogster"]Most French I know don't stick the Doofah on their windscreen, as it is an invitation to get it stolen. Instead they just wave it in front of the windscreen as they drive through. When you are next in town look around and see how many French cars you can spot with Doofahs stuck to the windscreen.[/quote]

Sprogster

The doofah is eminently NOT nickable.

It remains at all times the property of the Autoroute company.  They have a strong vetsed interest to recover a stolen one.

It can only be used on the autoroutes - unlike say a credit card.

They can deactivate it as soon as it is used to enter the system and they have their thief trapped.

And if that does not convince you.  I had my car broken into.  They took anything they considered as of value - including the spare wheel (used for over 1000km and rated at 130kph max - so less than pristine)

They did not take the doofah.

So basically only an idiot would steal one - not that there aren't idiots around.

[quote user="tonyv"]I think the number-plate sticky must be a more long-lasting compound, so maybe I'll just pop into Halfords, and get some of that; thanks for the suggestion Théière. I seem to recall it's quite expensive, though!

[/quote]

In that shop it's very expensive! sold by the inch at around £1.50 and you have to buy two so more than £3.00. I use it at work for holding up signs etc. PM your address and I'll send you an inch (or two) [:)]

[quote user="Théière"]

In that shop it's very expensive! sold by the inch at around £1.50 and you have to buy two so more than £3.00. I use it at work for holding up signs etc. PM your address and I'll send you an inch (or two) [:)]

[/quote]

That's very kind of you, T, and much appreciated, but I couldn't put you to expense (postage), just to save myself a few bob.

My thoughts are that not everyone knows it's a doofer - it could be mistaken for a GPS in a dim light, and invite a break-in; maybe that was the case for Andy - they discovered what the doofer was on breaking in and left it behind.

We know no French people who have doofers in a very wide group of neighbours and friends in our town and around the area; French neighbours and friends wouldn't touch one with a barge-pole. Most won't have a cedit card either, and general opinion seems to be why should they wish it to be known where and when they travel. As already mentioned by another poster, very few would ever dream of using the motorway, apart maybe for a trip to Paris - and even then most would take the train.One couple who lived, worked and travelled for years in UK won't dream of using the autoroutes, however long and  and complicated the trip on more minor roads - as we've found out when passengers in their car.

• 1 month later...
Bah, I got the number plate sticky from Halfords, and stuck the doofer to the windscreen. Two days later, it fell off! However, the residue is impossible to remove from the 'screen by picking it off; I'll have to try meths!

It sounded like a great idea; but unfortunately not. I'm travelling on a SANEF motorway on Sunday, so I'll just call in to the office.

[quote user="AnOther"]I don't understand why anybody would regard waving it by hand as unsafe when you are stationary at the barrier !!!

[/quote]

As someone else has noted the introduction of rolling (30km) peage is one reason why it is unsafe.

The other is, that if you are a little slow at waving at the entry station, you will get issued a normal entry ticket and any amount of waving will not open the barrier - been there and got the T shirt.  Consequently the fumble for the doofer is on the move as you approach, slowing down, changing down, avoiding the cars in front who change lanes at the last second, as well as the concrete bollard at the entry.  Easy with 4 pairs of eyes and 2 pairs of hands.

Methinks perhaps that your motorway entry and exit is restricted to the quiet rural booths.[;-)]

[quote user="tonyv"]My attempts to get SANEF stuff came to nothing. The offices by the toll booths appear to be shut on Sunday.

I'll try blu-tak. So what's it called here? Taque-bleu? Sacré blueu?
[/quote]

Mine is still stuck fast [:P]

did you clean the area with your meths first or just take up drinking it with the frustration [:)]

I would also want our doofer to be firmly stuck to the windscreen if I was driving alone in the car!

I also like the 30km peages; there seems to be a rolling programme of installation. However, some don't seem calibrated quite right, so hoping those will be adjusted eventually. The same ones seem slow each time we pass through. The first I saw was the final one before the end of the autoriute heading for the Tunnel.