Car Registration V5

Alpinemist

Just want to check something. We are visiting the UK and are buying a 1 yr old car (Peugeot). They need to register the car to tax it so have asked for an address. Do i give a UK address (parents address) to register it or do I give our french address ? We are french residents.

Peugeot dealer didn't know anything about a CoC so a bit stuck. Anyone else dealt with Peugeot on this ?

A slight conflict of terminology here I think. If the car is one year old then it is already registered so the dealer is not 'registering' but it merely transferring ownership to you. In that regard he can put whatever address you choose to give him on the V5C however, bearing in mind that DVLA will not accept a non UK address, it should be a UK one, of convenience if necessary.

Also a dealer can tax a car in stock at any time he likes so the best idea would be to have him do it for you. Even if he charges you once you declare it exported you will be able to claim unused full months back.

[quote user="Alpinemist"]Peugeot dealer didn't know anything about a CoC so a bit stuck. Anyone else dealt with Peugeot on this ?[/quote]

Make it a condition of the deal that the CoC is provided when the car is delivered. No CoC, no deal. It is likely that someone in the dealership understands CoCs, but that the salesman does not. Peugeot UK has a department dealing with this; it is quite possible that the salesman does not understand how CoCs work and does not want to be bothered to do the extra work and is trying to fob you off. (I had this with a Honda dealership for a car to be exported to Ireland: I more or less had to stand over the salesman whilst he telephoned Honda UK - who amazingly enough were able to immediately put him on to the person who dealt with CoCs. The dealership no longer has the Honda Franchise - though I doubt that it has anything to do with me).

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Alpinemist"]Thanks for the input.

All arranged. For anyone else Peugeot can get the CoC. It takes 21 days and costs £100.[/quote]

They would probably do it free of charge for the dealer - and a damn sight quicker. Use it as a bargaining chip, because this is giving you extra hassle.

Regards

Pickles