european breakdown over 90 days

jen

My French insurance company's breakdown service was brilliant when my French-reg car broke down last year.

They sent a breakdown truck promptly; arranged a garage for it to go to; and as I was more than 20km (I think that was the figure) from home they arranged a taxi to take me home, and another to pick me up me the next day to collect the repaired car. (Obviously I had to pay for the repair.)

Angela

PS Sorry - should have said that for my UK car, I take out 12-month breakdown cover with EuropAssistance. I can't remember offhand what the maximum duration for each individual trip is though.

It is breakdown cover! Cover for when you breakdown! Which part of that is the overstatement? It's not a repair service. The French refer to it as "assistance" which sums it up nicely.

I've just had occasion to use the breakdown cover for my motorcycle and I couldn't fault it. I had a rear tyre blowout at 110kph, was fortunate enough to be able to keep control of the bike, got it to the hard shoulder, and got my breath back. I can confirm that adreneline is brown!

I called the breakdown assistance (Mondial) using the number on my insurance certificate, they called the breakdown service who arrived in 15 minutes (!!) and took me and the bike to a motorcycle dealer where I got a new tyre fitted. Under the circumstances I wouldn't think there would be any alternative, and I'm well-satisfied. Paying for separate breakdown cover wouldn't have had any better result, and in my view it was better than sitting around for an hour or more for the Alcoholics Anonymous or any of the others to turn up, which has been my unfortunate experience in the UK. 

[quote user="sid"]

... and in my view it was better than sitting around for an hour or more for the Alcoholics Anonymous or any of the others to turn up, which has been my unfortunate experience in the UK. 

[/quote]

Well, we all have our different experiences.

My most recent encounter with the RAC involved the breakdown van appearing in half the time the control said, and quickly getting my car started. The mechanic advised to to contact a garage of my choice, followed me as I drove to the garage, explained the fault in detail to the garage owner and then took me home in his van. I had been at a pub a few miles from my home when my car wouldn't start.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]Well, we all have our different experiences.[/quote]

When my (10 year old) car decided to throw a wobbly whilst I was driving my OH to the airport I managed to get off the dual-carriage and make it to a garage. They phoned through to the assistance (through Allianz) who organised a taxi to get OH and I to the airport. Then I had a choice between staying in a hotel until the car was fixed or the assurance reimbursing me 100€ a day if I hired a car. I did the latter, returning the car to the airport when my car was fixed 3 days later. Couldn't fault their cover at all.

Sue