Driving licence stolen British

Georgina

Hi wonder if some kind soul could help me.  Just rang DVLA and lost the will to live

I have had my purse stolen containing my driving licence.  I want to apply for a french licence as this actually seems less bureaucratic than England.

I have the paper bit, does anyone know if I can apply for a french licence with just this paper bit.  I have a process verbal from the police.  I tried to ring the prefecture but it was SHUT.

Maybe someone could put me out of my misery soon.

(:

PS I know i can ask for another licence on line from England but that would involve getting it in the post over there.

I think that the paper bit is the salient bit, iirc.

The UK will not replace your license if you are now resident here, I don't think.  Thus I'm afraid that you have to do it the tedious way and go to your prefecture with all the paperwork.  There's a website somewhere with all the info' and application form on it.  I will try to find it but beware - the requirements can vary from department to department (as I found out to my cost.)

Here you go:

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/F1758.xhtml

If your own departmental prefecture has a website also then do have a look at it because I needed a tax form on top of all that which nobody (even my tax office) had heard of!  But I did get there in the end.

The DVLA site is totally useless about what happens if you now live abroad and lose your license.  I'll bet S/D knows the rules though.[:)]

To obtain a French driving licence, you must produce proof of your driving entitlements.  The photocard licence provides this proof, but the paper counterpart doesn't. 

As you have lost your licence, you will need to contact the DVLA and ask them for a letter confirming your entitlements which you can give to the French authorities.  They'll charge you a fiver for this and will send the letter to your French address.  Once you have it, apply for the French licence as normal at your prefecture. They will accept the DVLA letter in place of a licence.

Thanks SD but have anyone called them, it is impossible to speak to a human being, it  really is a joke.  The list is endless of the various options to go through.   You must listen to all these options several times with several variations repeated and by which time, you will completely give up and go put your head in the gas oven lol

Thanks for that, just rang and was dealt with n five min, must have been a day off when I rang before haha

By the way I just rang the sous prefecture in France and was on the phone going round in circles on their switch for 25 minutes and then was told by an automatic voice that i had the wrong number eh???  Only in France.  Can someone shoot the guy who invented those answerphone selection processes as I would really like to get hold of him now.

Ha ha, yes I think someone gave whoever it was a job to produce something that wasted lots of time and lots of money for everyone but the company in that nobody ever was having to answer the telephone, could do with one of those at home.  Now that would be an idea:

Hello, you are calling for Madam ....... please  choose from the following criteria so that she can decide whether or not she actually wants to talk to you.  Here is a list of 40 options, please listen to all of them carefully before choosing one by which time you will have just lost the will to live and gone away and we can get all the revenue from your call..  lol

Something that has worked for me a few times, after being frustrated beyond belief by these multiple-choice phone menus, is to simply ignore the "choices."  Don't wait, just press 1 (or whatever the first option is).  If it's a multi-level menu you may have to do this more than once.

You will probably get a human being quite soon, and the remarkable thing - at least, in my limited experience - is that he or she will probably be willing to help you.  I have never yet had someone say "Sorry, you pressed the wrong option, I can do nothing for you" - or anything like that.

Sometimes the person can deal with your question.  Sometimes he or she says "Oh, for that you need the X department.  Just a minute, I'll transfer you."  In either case, you're already ahead.