Tyres and mileage

LAiffricaine

A simple question from a dumb blonde [:$]

How many miles do you manage to squeeze out of your tyres ?...

Only asking as I've had this car for a little over 14/15mths or so now. Wednesday I will take it to the garage for its annual MOT and have yet another set of tyres fitted ... 3rd set of front tyres actually since ownership of said vehicle. Last set only did just about 10000 miles. Admittedly I do a lot of mileage commuting to and fro home/work - in excess of 300 a week. Then there is the odd weekend driving to London to visit Dearest Daughter, 500 miles return trip. Such are the train time tables that it just is not an option for a Sunday afternoon return, never mind going down on a Friday evening after work, so I do need car to visit her. Add to that the annual trip to France, the last one clocked over 1700 miles from here, a visit to as many relos as poss and back here.

Just the same ... met'ink som'it is odd about it ...

The car ?  a cheap Peugeot 207 diesel first registered in 2006.

Which brand do you use and think is the best qualtiy one to get ? I am willing to pay for quality firmly believing that cheap is just short sighted false economy ...

[quote user="woolybanana"] Are the tyres going on the edges, in which case it is a tracking problem and not unheard of with Peugeots? ....[/quote]

Lisse comme un oeuf on the outside edge and brand new on the inside ...

Truly don't want to change that car ... yet again ... forcibly or not ... Plus un rond dans la tirelire, plus un radis, fauchée comme les blés [:'(][:'(]

Oh dear  ... [:(] 

Get your tracking checked, preferably by someone that you trust or who has been recommended, I have my own gauges and most vehicles that I have checked after a tyre fitting place has offered them a free check and then "corrected" the tracking (charged to the customer) have been miles out, either they either dont care to do the job right or know that what they are doing sells more tyres.

The first thing that one should do before putting the gauges on a vehicle is to set them to each other and check that they read parallel and if not then recalibrate them. In more than 30 years I have seen very few mechanics do this and never seen a tyre shop do it yet they throw the things around like they are passengers luggage!!

In my younger days I was qite capable of going through a set of rears or fronts (dependant on the driven axle) in 6 weeks [:-))]

My current tyres were bought part worn and I have done an additional 60000 miles on them and they are nowhere near the wear markers yet.

I was averaging about 60,000 miles for front tyres and 80,000 for rears on the 306HDI. Jaguar is on original rears at 45,000. Fronts changed at 40,000.

Tyres have improved a lot in the last 40 years. Good article as below :

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide_2007/213189/tyre_testing.html

As Chance says, driving styles have a serious effect on mileage, eg front drive cars fitted with power steering are frequently driven oversteered scrubbing the edges of the tyres off. Steering and suspension geometry / alignment needs to be correct and is relatively easily checked - and adjusted.

Best value for tyres and alignment is most likely done in the bigger tyre centres rather than locals, let your fingers do the walking and phone around asking for a price on a pair or set. I did this recently for my peugeot and got a set of Avon RT5's fitted for £160, including balance, valves, alignment and old tyre disposal. (black circles quote £196 plus alignment). Normally expect 25-30k miles out of a set.

[quote user="L Aiffricaine"][quote user="glacier1"]try 123pneu.fr for cheap tires![/quote]

That would mean buying them on line, no ?... [8-)] then finding a local garage here in Wales to accept to fit them on ... [/quote]

In the UK, if you look at mytyres.co.uk, you will find lists of companies that will fit the tyres that you supply - or to whom you can have your tyres delivered. Get a price from mytyres, contact the tyre fitter and see if he can match the price (plus fitting of course).

Regards

Pickles