cam belt

johnycarper

Hi all,

Just had a full "cam belt kit" and water pump supplied and fitted, M.O.T. done, by my local mechanic (always use the same fella when i'm back in the UK) all in for £240.

I thought that was a good price and as usual always pleased with the work he does for me.

Just thought i'd chip in.

best wishes mel.

"Has anyone any idea about the cost of having a cam belt fitted to cars,we have a passat 19tdi and the garage has just quoted for a full service and the cam belt replaced 700 euros,it sounds a lot but am not a mechanic and i know its a bog job to do.

Any thoughts please

John "

I had a 120K service including cam belt and water pump carried out at a VW dealer in the UK last year on our 06 2.0 TDI Passat and the charge was £661. Last week I had a full set of brake pads fitted at a VW garage in southern Spain - 267€. VW UK standard price £258.

Its just not the case that everything in the UK is cheaper, multinationals have had three years to increase their prices there to reflect the fallen value of the pound, and they've done so.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Sc"]I had a 120K service including cam belt and water pump carried out at a VW dealer in the UK last year on our 06 2.0 TDI Passat and the charge was £661. [/quote]

Just got the bill for the same work on my Golf and it was €750 - pretty much the same as SC.

As has been said before, the labour cost very much depends on the make and model.

With our old Volvo 440 you could climb in the engine department and remove major components without knocking your elbows on the sides. With my Mazda, there's hardly room to insert a small spanner, even if you could see a nut or bolt to undo.