speeding notification

minnie

[quote user="Sc"]

So what I will do in 90 limits is drive at satnav 95 kph, which is 100kph on my speedometer. Most other cars will be overtaking me of course.  As I said before, I'm not advocating that anyone exceeds speed limits.

[/quote]

You intend driving at 95kph in a 90kph limit, yet you are not advocating that anyone exceeds speed limits.   [8-)]

Chris was 'flashed' when coming home from Limoges on the 90km road off the motorway, on the link to St Junien. He received the notification, was 5km over and was charged 45 euros - had to buy a 'timbre fiscal' and post it on the form to Limoges. Was not informed about the points, but he has recently received another form that tells him he has one year to change to a French Driving Licence - our neighbour (French) says don't do it, exchange it for a European Driving Licence, which you can do apparently!

SD wrote: "You intend driving at 95kph in a 90kph limit, yet you are not advocating that anyone exceeds speed limits."

I'm not advocating that anyone else exceeds speed limits and certainly will not do so myself in built up areas. But how do you address the fact that the motorist who observes the 90 and 110 speed limits is in a minority?

I drove up and down to St Malo this morning, and at 90kph actual on the single carriageway and 110kph actual on the dual carriageway I was virtually a moving roadblock; 80% or more of the cars overtook me as well as a coach, a couple of campers, and plenty of white vans. On the way home I went with the flow and had a much smoother and less stressful drive despite being outside the law; whats more I suspect that I was contributing to the safety of those vehicles around me by doing so.

When the speed limits are ignored in the way that they are (ie nearly everyone driving at 100 in the 90 and 120 in the 110) in my opinion its time to rethink those limits.

So that its clear where I'm coming from I've driven more than 1.2 million miles and been fined for minor speed excesses on two occasions, 24 years apart.

Steve

[quote user="Sc"]

When the speed limits are ignored in the way that they are (ie nearly everyone driving at 100 in the 90 and 120 in the 110) in my opinion its time to rethink those limits.

Steve

[/quote]

I believe that is what is happening in the UK. A large number of motorists ignore 30mph in built up areas so there are now an increasing number of 20mph limits and pressure for 20mph in most built up areas.

So perhaps if France adopted the UK thinking then the 90 would come down to 80 and 110 to 100 (or even less).

However, your part of France must be very different to the route I take to our house in the SW. Virtually no one seems to exceed the speed limit and if they do they have NL, B or UK on their number plates.

Paul

Paul wrote: "I believe that is what is happening in the UK. A large number of motorists ignore 30mph in built up areas so there are now an increasing number of 20mph limits and pressure for 20mph in most built up areas."

So then a larger number of motorists will ignore the 20mph limits.

I cannot argue about 30 and 50kph limits in built up areas and I do my best to stick to them. The breed of motorists that knowingly and willfully break them will not be put off by altering the numbers on road signs.

I was under the impression that the UK government was intending to raise the motorway speed limit to 80mph in 2013? This will make it similar to the French autoroute dry limit which being realistic, only a small percentage of motorists seem to break (in my experience).

If the French were to raise their general single carriageway limit to 100kph and dual carriageway limit to 120kph (that would, incidentally, bring them closer to the UK limits) reflecting, everywhere that I travel in France anyway, reality. France is after all by and large a pregmatic nation.

No red flags needed, Idun...........cars are already emerging that are connected to the internet and in the not too distant future will no doubt have their speed (and driver? and range?) governed by gps. 

Steve

[quote user="Sc"]

If the French were to raise their general single carriageway limit to 100kph and dual carriageway limit to 120kph (that would, incidentally, bring them closer to the UK limits) reflecting, everywhere that I travel in France anyway, reality. France is after all by and large a pregmatic nation.

[/quote]

Given that single carriageway roads pose the greatest risks - no crash barrier separation of opposing traffic, no limitation on access, no prohibition on slower or more vulnerable road users - do you really imagine the French authorities would consider raising the national speed limit on the basis that a handful of drivers in your neck of the woods prefer to ignore the limits?

What's the betting that if they did raise the limit to 100kph, you'd all start driving at 110kph..............?  [;-)]

[quote user="Keni"]our neighbour (French) says don't do it, exchange it for a European Driving Licence, which you can do apparently![/quote]

Maybe they were referring to something like this.

http://www.licencetoday.com/

I'm sure it's a loophole that needs to be closed (if only some members of the legal profession put their minds to other useful purposes)

Brian (again0

Me too Minnie, never had a fine before in 20 years either. E90 for ten kilometres over and at the 50 limit in a non built up area seems it changes every half mile, Think yourself lucky it was only E45. French police filling their coffers for New Year.

SD said: "do you really imagine the French authorities would consider raising the national speed limit on the basis that a handful of drivers in your neck of the woods prefer to ignore the limits?"

Seems its not just our region:

http://www3.letelegramme.com/ig/generales/france-monde/france/securite-routiere-les-limitations-de-vitesse-revues-et-corrigees-28-12-2011-1550677.php

I'm not holding my breath for the changes that I would like to see, but at least the government is examining the possible link between the disrespect of speed limits and inconsistencies in their deployment.

Steve

Gueant's initiative is concerned with making the application of speed limit reductions more consistent and their justification more obvious to the road user.  I don't see any indication that he may be considering increasing the national speed limits to bring them into line with your preferences.