Advertising boards.

We are about to buy a house with an advertising boar on the side. Has anyone done this? Do we get RENT? Should it be in on the paperworK? Or is it likely to be something that a previous owner got a one off payment for?

Can we take it down?

I have no personal experience of this but I would suggest you ask the agent you are buying through or the notaire you are using. You are, after all, paying them to act on your behalf and if you want it removed you may be able to insert a clause in the 'Acte' that requires the vendor to remove it, saving you the expense of doing so.

Cheminot.

we bought a little house as a dependence of our main house, and it had a large Super U board on the side. The estate agent would not hear of us taking it down until she had contacted the manager of the local Super U to establish if it was a current advert or an old one. Turned out it was old and we were allowed to remove it.

I suggest you ask the estate agent to establish if the board is current or an old one, as allegedly you can get into trouble if you remove one that's current and paid for.

hoverfrog

[quote]I have no personal experience of this but I would suggest you ask the agent you are buying through or the notaire you are using. You are, after all, paying them to act on your behalf and if you want i...[/quote]

Not strictly true -

The agents' sole interest is in selling you the property so the they can get their not insubstantial commission. In many cases (but to be fair not all) you will find that agents will be economical with the facts and tell you want they think you want to hear. If they give you bad news then you might decide not to go ahead with the purchase and they don't make their money - which is after all what they are in business to do.

If only one Notaire has been appointed then he/she is working on behalf of the french government, not you or the vendor. He or she will usually answer direct questions but his or her main task is to ensure that all the legal formalities are conducted correctly. You, as the purchaser, can if you wish, appoint a second Notaire who will share the formal duties with the other Notaire but act solely in your interest. This might be a good option and doesn't cost you any more. Find a Notaire and sit down with him and explain your concerns BEFORE you sign a Compromis de Vente.

[quote]Not strictly true -The agents' sole interest is in selling you the property so the they can get their not insubstantial commission. In many cases (but to be fair not all) you will find that agents wil...[/quote]

Possibly so, but experience dictates that if you ask the question and the agent appreciates that the sale may depend on whether he answers it to your satisfaction, then you are likely to get the information you want.

Obviously if you dont ask no-one is going to volunteer it.

Cheminot.

[quote]Possibly so, but experience dictates that if you ask the question and the agent appreciates that the sale may depend on whether he answers it to your satisfaction, then you are likely to get the infor...[/quote]

Exactly my point. The agent is very likely to tell you the information you want to hear if the sale may depend on it. The problem is, the information given to you may not be the correct information !