watch your speed

dave21478

Seems that things are being tightened up.

I just drove down from Calais, via Rouen to Orleons then down the A20 to Montauban and across to Albi. I do this trip several times a year and generally see no police, or at worst a single speed trap somewhere. This time, there were five different speed traps set on the A20 southbound alone. Always an unmarked car tucked into one of the service roads with a box of tricks either on the car or on a tripod next to it, and 2 cozzers on bikes 1/4mile or so further down the road.

As for border control....completely non-existant again this trip. No passport checks, nobody looked in the car....the only person I saw was the guy in the P&O booth that gives you the lane number.

I might take up smuggling. As long as I don't speed, I reckon I will get away with it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="dave21478"]I read that one - its very tedious, and not what has happened to mine.[/quote]

Yes I agree! Not helped by the other party having no knowledge whatsoever of the difference between GPS and radar detectors.

I'm glad someone was appreciative of my assistance; http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2659808/ShowPost.aspx

If you would care to share your problem Dave, I'll try and assist - without the help of a certain third party intervening!

[quote user="dave21478"] .... then down the A20 to Montauban  ....[/quote]

There is a stretch of this road north of Brive where the speed limit is reduced from 130 to 110kph. I have twice been flashed by a speed camera at this point (you'd think I would learn) doing well in excess of 120kph but heard nothing more on either occasion. On one occasion I was in a UK registered car but on the other I was in a rental car. Hertz would have been onto me before you blink.

[quote user="Clarkkent"]

[quote user="dave21478"] .... then down the A20 to Montauban  ....[/quote]

There is a stretch of this road north of Brive where the speed limit is reduced from 130 to 110kph. I have twice been flashed by a speed camera at this point (you'd think I would learn) [/quote]

Especially as you have Xray vision [:)]

That is why we have camera databases to warn us (memory starts to go at 45 years of age). Will you remember if you get fined? 

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="dave21478"]Always an unmarked car tucked into one of the service roads with a box of tricks either on the car or on a tripod next to it,[/quote]

That'll be the cash registers.

[/quote]

360million euro cash register !! according to a report I read in the paper (Ouest France), are they expensive to buy? I was thinking of installing one just outside my house [:D]

edit, was 630 million!!

http://blog.radars-auto.com/index.php?post/630-millions-d-euros-de-recettes-pour-les-radars-en-2011-708

Well, two things I noticed with the GPS. Its a TomTom One that I bought a few years back and have never updated. Its never been near a PC in its life. The speed camera warnings now no longer work at all. I have never changed the settings, and it just sits in a drawer for most of the year and is only used when I head back to UK maybe two or three times a year. It always beeped on approach to a camera, but now, nothing at all. I have just spent a few minutes going through the menu and see no way to activate or deactivate this feature. I do see that Bluetooth and "Wireless"  are both enabled though and probably always have been.

The second thing,,....get your tinfoil hats ready.

For 3 of the 5 speed traps I passed, the tomtom lost its signal just before the cops (I never noticed how far before, I dont look at it much on the motorway) and would not regain the signal until I switched it off and on again.

[quote user="dave21478"]Well, two things I noticed with the GPS. Its a TomTom One that I bought a few years back and have never updated. Its never been near a PC in its life.[/quote]

Thereby lies the answer! You may find that a software update and reset to its default status will go a long way to solving your problems.

In relation to disarming the Speed Camera function, http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5560/?locale=en_GB contains all the details.

It will be interesting to see how this develops; How will it be checked to see if it is disabled? and what for instance if the view taken is that the device is capable of being turned back on and therefore illegal? is it possible to remove existing camera sites completely ( or disguise them as Point of interest[6]) 

"With regard to TomToms and other GPS systems, which have speed camera locations programmed in to their software, the situation is confusing. These are not officially "radar detectors", but manufacturers are obliged to make new software available, and most will be doing so in early 2012. By summer 2012, Tomtoms and other GPS systems will be technically in breach of the law if they still have radars listed in their Points of Interest software; and even if it is not clear how roadside police can stop and check for offending software, rather than hardware, drivers are warned to err on the side of precaution and download the latest map software for France. This is advisable anyway, since older software is not up to date with regard to new routes, new speed restrictions, and other changes.

For both existing radar warning devices and GPS devices, current radar information is being replaced with warnings to announce "danger zones", many of which will be areas with speed cameras."

[quote user="just john "]

It will be interesting to see how this develops; How will it be checked to see if it is disabled? and what for instance if the view taken is that the device is capable of being turned back on and therefore illegal? is it possible to remove existing camera sites completely ( or disguise them as Point of interest[6]) 

[/quote]

Yes in the case of the TomTom (I don't know for Garmin) I removed the TomTom file completely when I installed the 3rd party version, I can rename the 3rd party versions to anything thus disguising them from the authorities [6]

Back up the device!! or suffer the consequences if it goes wrong.

Hook up to the PC and explore the device, the file is stored in the western europe map file.

[quote user="Théière"]

I use a 3rd party camera data base and just disable the items in POI's[/quote]

As Théière has highlighted, 3rd party databases will be added to a GPS as 'POI's'. Should you wish to take a chance, these can be edited with a change of displayed icon, of which there are plenty available here for example, http://www.poi-factory.com/gps-icons 

Edit. Just noticed your post Théière[:)] 

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="dave21478"]I read that one - its very tedious, and not what has happened to mine.[/quote]

Yes I agree! Not helped by the other party having no knowledge whatsoever of the difference between GPS and radar detectors.

I'm glad someone was appreciative of my assistance; http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2659808/ShowPost.aspx

If you would care to share your problem Dave, I'll try and assist - without the help of a certain third party intervening!

[/quote]

I stand in awe of your potent argument; reminds me of the old chestnut..." no I dont need a TV Redevance because I just watch VHS tapes with my TV and VHS Player.[:)]

[quote user="just john "]Hi Thieiere, any chance of posting the 3rd party site to replace my Tom Tom speed camera info?[I] I promise to replace the icon with yours[:D][/quote]

It's a paid database, annually renewable unless you spot a camera not on the database which gives you lifetime updates free. lots of useful how to guides the site too

PocketGPSWorld 

EDIT

Sam this is getting silly now [:D]