Transferring French no claims to UK

JSKS

We will need to insure a car in UK in the next couple of months.  I understand that French insurers can issue a form that details your driver history including no claims.  Does anyone know what this is called in French?

Hope you don't have the trouble we had!

Our UK insurers insisted on a letter from our French insurers in French AND in English.

In addition to this, they insisted that the no claims bonus be expressed in years (insured without claim) and not in percentage.

Eventually our lovely French lady just asked me to write down what we needed and she copied it verbatim (even though she didn't understand the English version!)

Further problem encountered when Madame sent us the letter as an attachment to her email and the UK insurers refused to accept this, demanding an original letter.

The whole business was a nightmare and we seemed to go round in vicious circles when trying to establish our French car on UK roads:

Couldn't have insurance until we had new registration.

Couldn't have registration until we had MOT

Couldn't have MOT until we had new registration.

And so on.

By the way, UK insurers were Churchill who also seem to be Direct Line, depending on who answers the phone. That didn't help either.

Good luck.

With regard to the MOT you may find that not all testers are aware of the procedure.

I built a kit car and it needed to be MOT'd prior to driving it, with no registration plates, to the examination centre for it to be decided if I could keep the registration number of the donor vehicle.

The MOT man had to make a phone call to discover that he places the VIN in place of the reg number - he would not take my word for it.

And, yes, it is perfectly legal to drive to the examination centre without plates.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]

With regard to the MOT you may find that not all testers are aware of the procedure.

[/quote]

Note that I said MOT station and not tester.

Each station has the a copy of the rules. It sounds like your man was just too idle to find them or look them up.