registering uk van to french

steve

I have a 2 year old uk vauxhall vivaro van and want to change it to french reg,is it the same as a car?would I have to pay duty tax,on the uk reg book its 2 seats but I've a proper removable rear seat with belts that I use when needed but not often.could it be registered in France with the rear seat,does it take long to sort out as I would have to get temp uk insurance cover to get it to France.any help/advice welcome

Commercial vehicles can be significantly more problematic to register

than private cars and that's without non OEM modifications.

You're lucky in one sense in that it's under 4 years old and therefore not subject to a CT as I very much doubt you would find a station to test it with unauthorised rear seats.

Your biggest problem then will be in getting a Certificate of Conformity for it but according to this site http://www.eurococ.eu/en/certificate_of_conformity C of C's are not available for any Vauxhall light commercials and only Opel Vivaro's from 05/2010. You will just have to ask Vauxhall and see what they can come up with.

You should not have to pay any tax when importing it and once you have all your paperwork together registration should not take more than an hour at the Prefecture, 75% of which will be queuing time.

Re insurance, you only need UK insurance to get it out of the UK, French insurers will cover you whilst you complete the registration formalities.

[quote user="steve"]

.....on the uk reg book its 2 seats but I've a proper removable rear seat with belts that I use when needed but not often.could it be registered in France with the rear seat.....

[/quote]

Yes it could, but it's not going to be a simple job, given that the rear seat arrangement you are currently using is illegal for road use.

There is nothing problematic about registering a standard Vivaro commercial van and Opel France will provide you with the necessary French national type approval certificate (attestation d'identification) covering the van as originally delivered from the factory which will allow you to obtain a carte grise showing the standard two seats - but leaving you still unable to use the extra rear seat.

In order to have the rear seat approved for use, you'd have to create a 'cabine approfondi' by installing an extra bulkhead behind the rear seat to separate it from the cargo area then submit the van for a DREAL single vehicle approval inspection (réception à titre isolé).  If the bulkhead installation conforms to the required safety standard and the rear seat and belts have the necessary EU homologation, then the DREAL will issue a new approval certificate which will allow you to obtain a carte grise showing the full number of seats.

The choice is yours.....