Sat nav's

marmite

[quote user="marmite"]Anyone purchased a UK Garmin lately with European mapping and their free for life updates offer. Would be interested if the updates were just for the UK or covered Europe as well.

Cheers

Marmite
[/quote]Yes, but I hate the stupid thing and went and bought another TomTom (sadly I'd flogged the old one).  Yes, maps for life include Europe, for what they are worth.

[quote user="marmite"]Anyone purchased a UK Garmin lately with European mapping and their free for life updates offer. Would be interested if the updates were just for the UK or covered Europe as well.[/quote]

Yes, I did, and yes they are. Camera database updates are extra.

AnO

When I turn it on, every time I have to go through a silly Q&A procedure.  With the TomTom once done the first time, that's the end of it. 

It can never find any satelites.  Well, not never, but it's far less powerful than the TomTom.  Where TT takes a few seconds, the Garmin takes far longer and often I have to wave it about outside the window before it gets a signal!

It takes me down silly narrow roads when longer routes are faster (in spite of the fastest route option being set).  Not happened once with the TomTom -even over the same routes (I've tried it.)

The battery runs down very quickly (I don't always have a spare power point in the car, even though I have two, so I use that quite a bit.)

On-off switch very iffy - need to flick the switch several times before it powers up.

In spite of having updated the maps just before I left on a trip, still contained mistakes (missing roundabouts) although clearly the road system was not brand new.

On my latest trip back to the UK, it said that postcodes and addresses which I was inputting did not exist when clearly they did and had done for years.  The new TT I bought subsequently had no such trouble with the same codes etc. and found them without a hitch.

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 1490 LMT.

If you start from where it was last used then localisation is very rapid: slightly slower if it has been moved (eg France to UK).

Battery life doesn't seem a problem - though I don't tend to use it on battery, on the occasions when I haven't bothered to plug it in, the battery hasn't been an issue.

Not had a problem with the on/off switch.

Haven't had a problem with postcodes yet.

Maps for the areas I've driven on have generally been OK (Bearing in mind that even with updates, there will still be a substantial time lag before some changes are noted).

The traffic warnings seem to work reasonably well.

You may have a point about the routing algorithm, which may have an overoptimistic expectation of progress on smaller roads - I am going to try using the Ecoroutes option to see if this will address this issue.

Pretty much what Pickles has said.

With my Garmin Nuvi 360 satellite acquisition rarely takes more than a minute - regardless of location.

I have never updated it in the 5 years I have had it but most updates are for new roads and if I can't navigate them without sat nav I must be closer to my sell by date than I realise [:D][:D][:D]

Thanks for the replies everyone, Looking at the feedback's on various buying sites it seems every Satnav have buyers that either swear by them or swear at them. I know Garman are supposed to be a reliable make.

Coops maybe yours was a Friday afternoon model?

I have an old Navman at the mo, its so old I am unable to updates the maps on it and its getting a bit temperamental on finding its location, hence my looking for a more modern one.

Thanks all

[quote user="cooperlola"]When I turn it on, every time I have to go through a silly Q&A procedure. [/quote]

Yes, my Garmin does this too. Perhaps three or four things to agree to? I have blotted it out in my memory - but they are all statements of the bleedin' obvious.

The attraction of the Garmin was the free "lifetime" map upgrade - plus the free Traffic updates (TMC-based). Basically a new map every quarter. Even if they pull the plug on this after 3 years, it will still have cost less than keeping any other satnav updated. Unless of course you use a satnav application on a smartphone. My problem with this is that I am a skinflint and so haven't got a data contract, and the default options use dynamic downloading of the map (eg the GoogleMaps-based versions). Though the data wouldn't cost much in the UK (as a UK-based person), the cost would be horrible if paid for at data roaming prices. 

[quote user="AnOther"]I have never updated it in the 5 years I have had it but most updates are for new roads and if I can't navigate them without sat nav I must be closer to my sell by date than I realise [:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]This is why I decided to go back to TT in the end - really the map updates are not that important to me - better spend £100 every five years on  a new one if it comes to that.

Marmite you could well be right - it may just be a Friday one but as I don't like its controls and don't find the touch screen very responsive, I'll just write it off and leave it in Mr C's car as a "back up" (ha ha.)  Or put it in the bin, where it belongs.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="cooperlola"]

AnO

When I turn it on, every time I have to go through a silly Q&A procedure.  With the TomTom once done the first time, that's the end of it. 

[/quote]

Coops. What is the silly Q&A procedure you talk about. Still haven't made up my mind fully. Looked at Tom Tom but not sure of them.

• 4 weeks later...
For those of you who are interested in a TomTom and are concerned about map updates, there is an offer in Geant - and presumably elsewhere - for a TomTom Via 125 with full European mapping and 3 years' free map updates for 189€.

[quote user="Pickles"]  Unless of course you use a satnav application on a smartphone. My problem with this is that I am a skinflint and so haven't got a data contract, and the default options use dynamic downloading of the map (eg the GoogleMaps-based versions). Though the data wouldn't cost much in the UK (as a UK-based person), the cost would be horrible if paid for at data roaming prices.  [/quote]

I tried this with my HTC & data contract, no problem in the UK, and for journeys of around 40mins fine, but after this the battery life was consumed and it just died, even with the mobile charger connected it couldn't keep up, so back to Tom Tom, and only their free upgrades, I have just downloaded the free France speed camera zone, though haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I refuse to pay their exhorbitant rates for annual map grades and have managed to get by with a new Michelin map book every year. If only there was a sat nav version of the Michelin route finder which I like and use so often on the lap top.

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Pickles"]  Unless of course you use a satnav application on a smartphone. My problem with this is that I am a skinflint and so haven't got a data contract, and the default options use dynamic downloading of the map (eg the GoogleMaps-based versions). Though the data wouldn't cost much in the UK (as a UK-based person), the cost would be horrible if paid for at data roaming prices.  [/quote]

I tried this with my HTC & data contract, no problem in the UK, and for journeys of around 40mins fine, but after this the battery life was consumed and it just died, even with the mobile charger connected it couldn't keep up,[/quote]

Thanks for that information: I had realised that use of the GPS on the phone would deplete the battery charge more rapidly, but I hadn't really thought it would have an effect as bad as that - I am now forewarned!

[quote user="just john "]so back to Tom Tom, and only their free upgrades, I have just downloaded the free France speed camera zone, though haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I refuse to pay their exhorbitant rates for annual map grades and have managed to get by with a new Michelin map book every year.[/quote]

This is why I posted about the 3-year upgrade offer: it seems good value.

[quote user="just john "]If only there was a sat nav version of the Michelin route finder which I like and use so often on the lap top.[/quote]

There WAS: have a look here - I had an early one (4-5 years ago) which had a manufacturing defect (when it was on the cradle and connected to the in-car charger, the spoken output was muted!) and was returned for refund. I recall that I liked the GPS (other than the defect!). However, although they are still selling them, the models available are the old ones and from what I can see, map updates ae a real problem, and the supplied maps must be well out of date now.

[quote user="Pickles"] Thanks for that information: I had realised that use of the GPS on the phone would deplete the battery charge more rapidly, but I hadn't really thought it would have an effect as bad as that - I am now forewarned!

[quote user="just john "]so back to Tom Tom, and only their free upgrades, I have just downloaded the free France speed camera zone, though haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. I refuse to pay their exhorbitant rates for annual map grades and have managed to get by with a new Michelin map book every year. [/quote]

This is why I posted about the 3-year upgrade offer: it seems good value.  [/quote]

Mine is 4yrs old and I figure due for an update, ( the maps were never current even after their first free upgrade, ) so I will be checking out offers around.
[quote user="just john "]If only there was a sat nav version of the Michelin route finder which I like and use so often on the lap top.[/quote]

[quote user="Pickles"] There WAS: have a look here - I had an early one (4-5 years ago) which had a manufacturing defect (when it was on the cradle and connected to the in-car charger, the spoken output was muted!) and was returned for refund. I recall that I liked the GPS (other than the defect!). However, although they are still selling them, the models available are the old ones and from what I can see, map updates ae a real problem, and the supplied maps must be well out of date now. [/quote]

After a quick look on Amazon (the only place I could find them, the only review confirms your experience

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine when working but crashes too often, 
By J. M. Hopgood (Valencia, Spain) 

This review is from: ViaMichelin Navigation X-950T Europe Full (Electronics)
I used this and the guide to walk around Rome and found it very good.
However, used in the car it crashes too often, mostly when I am within 10 minutes of reaching my destination. Also, if you vary too much from the designated route and it has to recalculate, it freezes after about the 3rd recalculation. Now had it for about 2 years and it is now failing to load the maps, so is basically useless

Bumping this thread back up. I have been reliably informed that Garmin have realised their pointless repetition of questions hacks people off so have a new user interface (posh talk for the start up screen) [:)]

I drove my usual N routes down and got flashed by a static camera, of course this wouldn't have happened if the camera database had been enabled or would it? It seemed to me that lots of areas have down graded the limits. Where I was flashed used to be 110kph (I was doing 105 ish) it appears this maybe a 90kph area now and other areas are down from 90kph to 70kph, and 70kph down to 50kph which makes room for the new ish 30kph's If these are recent changes with the abolition of the camera database that could easily generate lots of revenue as even locals could get caught out. lots more cameras around. One on the D750 was given a Viking funeral but was repaired in a week [6]

[quote user="Théière"]

I drove my usual N routes down and got flashed by a static camera, of course this wouldn't have happened if the camera database had been enabled or would it? It seemed to me that lots of areas have down graded the limits. Where I was flashed used to be 110kph (I was doing 105 ish) it appears this maybe a 90kph area now and other areas are down from 90kph to 70kph, and 70kph down to 50kph which makes room for the new ish 30kph's 

[/quote]

Perhaps this wouldn't have happened if you'd been paying attention to those big speed limit signs at the side of the road.....[;-)]

Maybe satnavs should incorporate a health warning along the lines of 'Caution - reliance on radar alerts can lead to eyeball malfunction'.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"][quote user="Théière"]

I drove my usual N routes down and got flashed by a static camera, of course this wouldn't have happened if the camera database had been enabled or would it? It seemed to me that lots of areas have down graded the limits. Where I was flashed used to be 110kph (I was doing 105 ish) it appears this maybe a 90kph area now and other areas are down from 90kph to 70kph, and 70kph down to 50kph which makes room for the new ish 30kph's 

[/quote]

Perhaps this wouldn't have happened if you'd been paying attention to those big speed limit signs at the side of the road.....[;-)]

Maybe satnavs should incorporate a health warning along the lines of 'Caution - reliance on radar alerts can lead to eyeball malfunction'.

[/quote]

[:)] Yes, SD you are quite right of course But back on the real word roads the frequent changes in road limits and the easy obscuring of the latest signs it is very easy to err. I rely on the satnav kph info as well as a the sign posts where spotted. It is a satnav thread so I was more warning from my recent experience that things have changed in 7 months so unless the satnavs have been updated recently the information could well be wrong. I am not one for paying for updates unless really necessary as I prefer to save the update money for a couple of years and put that towards a new satnave which has generally improved features and always has a free map update when you register it.

Maybe time for a tomtom 1005 [:)] 

[quote user="Théière"] But back on the real word roads the frequent changes in road limits and the easy obscuring of the latest signs it is very easy to err. I rely on the satnav kph info as well as a the sign posts where spotted.  Maybe time for a tomtom 1005 [:)] 

[/quote]

You and me both Théière, bad practice or what? I have come to view TT as my dashboard, speed, limit, direction, time, ETA, unfortunately as you say the road markings are not always visible, especially if you miss one, however neither is TT1005 if the reviews are to be believed, and I think they are . . .

The display and navigation is very nice when it works. However, as some people may already know, there has been a problem with the software for most TomTom models since the end of March, resulting in frequent and complete failure of the device to find the GPS signal, rendering it almost completely useless.

My 5-year old Garmin will take me to a destination one way, and then bring me back on a completely different route. I've forgotten how many times I've ended up on narrow country roads going to a place I've never been and taking 45 minutes, then it brings me home on an N road in 30 minutes. I often resort to looking at a map beforehand to find out where I should be. But I am too tight to pay for updates ..

I thought I was up to date on info but obviously not, thanks JJ I will have to do some reading up.

Nectarine the satnavs work strictly on their programs, that is to say that the return trip only needs to be a very small amount shorter/faster to cause a re route for the return trip my early Sony version beggars belief in some of the strange things it would do. It took me of a major road down a side turning and back on to the same major road because technically it was a few metres shorter that way.