Whot car !!!

Dave&Olive

Hi Ok

Opinions welcome   .... lets say you have € 10 ,000 to spend on a car and you want a 80 to the gallon 3 door small hatch diesel circa  pug 207 ren o clio ford fiesta ....... go on hurt me

Dave

til you come to sell it cause it doesn't suit whatever; depreciation is the big killer never mind fuel economy or other criticisms, look at the used value of a two or three year old.

A depreciation diamond is the Suzuki Swift, with its highly impressive residual value of 59.5 per cent, which makes it fractionally better than the Citroën C1. Then comes the MINI (58.9pc), Ferrari F430 (58pc), Volkswagen Fox (57.8pc), Honda Jazz (57pc), Volkswagen Eos (56.3pc) and Ford S-Max (56.1pc).  .telegraph. -avoid-wasting-money-on-depreciation.

[quote user="just john "]

A depreciation diamond is the Suzuki Swift, with its highly impressive residual value of 59.5 per cent, which makes it fractionally better than the Citroën C1. Then comes the MINI (58.9pc), Ferrari F430 (58pc), Volkswagen Fox (57.8pc), Honda Jazz (57pc), Volkswagen Eos (56.3pc) and Ford S-Max (56.1pc).  .telegraph. -avoid-wasting-money-on-depreciation.

[/quote]That's it then.  It's the Ferrari.  No contest.[:)]

Seriously though, as Honda have a really good after-sales reputation then I'd go for the Jazz (used to be consistently in the top 5 in JD Power.  Don't know about lately though).  Plus it has a bit of style about it.  Yes, so does the Mini but they are tiny inside and overpriced to begin with, BMW or not.

So much depends upon what you want from a car.  There are some I wouldn't be seen dead in, even if they came with a lifetime warranty and 99% residuals.  If image doesn't bother you, then go for something with a good reliablility and after-sales reputation.  If you intend to keep your new car for years, for example, residuals are less important than if you change regularly.  Also, a lot depends upon how you feel when you drive it.  When I bought my first Micra the top two "super-minis", according to all the pundits,  at the time were it and the Yaris.  I had a friend with a new Yaris and she loved it but when I drove it I found it had an incredibly uninvolving chassis whereas the Micra was great and a real hoot to drive, even in basic form.

Use others' opinions to give you a shortlist, then test drive what's left.  When you drive the car for you, you'll know it.

Hi Dave and Olive,

At the moment it seems that all the major manufacturers have an entry model at or under 10,000 euros,Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Ford ,Fiat etc. They may not all have diesel engines but all are fuel efficient, safe and reliable. Some of them may also have special deals on right now or coming soon, these deals may require you to have a 10 year old p/x or finance or a sense of humour, but all are worth looking at.

My no.1 question is do you have a local garage with a new car franchise? If so, you may be well advised to start there. If you are going to buy a new car, and I would strongly this as used car prices in France are a joke, then take a look at what your local dealer can do for you. He has virtually no profit in the bottom of the range models so he will be relying on parts and servicing to make his money - he will be really keen to look after you, he has manufcturer's standards and targets to adhere to, including customer satisfaction, and it is not just your money he is after - all warranty work goes towards his parts and service hours targets!

If you don't have a local dealer then look around at all the cars that have been suggested so far, but a few more too. Renault are making a big push with the Romanian Dacia which is as much Renault as Skoda is VW, so don't forget Skoda! The Dacia Sandero is by all accounts a decent car, backed by Renault and cheap. 

And talking of Skoda and VW, by far and away the best value in the small car market at the moment is the VW Polo - at current prices it is spectacular value! Check out the full deal,there may added incentives, in the UK there is an insurance offer included and there may also be finance offers, and whatever anyone tells you about residual values, VW has always been up there with the best.

So may I wish you bon chance in your quest, and I hope that my wasted youth and adulthood in the motor trade have been of help.

You may have to stretch your budget a bit, but it could pay dividends in the long run - and never tell the vendor that you can afford to!

Peter

hi ok

Sorry to take so long to reply but a lot to take in from the replys  replies gawd my French is getting better my english is getting worse ...question  why are most of the cars I have looked at ,, 1st date of registration is always December so they are 1 year old within a few weeks ??  Tax fiddle ???

Dave

ps been through all your recomendations  looks like a  207   1.6 hdi 90 cv  reged 15/12/2008  75000 km for €9600 

coments always welcome

Sounds a bit expensive for a 4 years old car, out of warranty, and not particularly low mileage. The asking price in England for the corresponding 2011 model is only £9750, but then used cars in France are not good value. If there a car auction company in your region try going along to see what the cars fetch on the block - that is a more realistic price guide.

Good luck.

Peter. 

hi ok

Just an update ...just foud a garage with about a dozen less than 12 month old 207`s but with the 1.4 engine  all with less than 10,000 km ..some with flatish or brand new tyres fitted  big ????  keenly priced.... I remember reading somewere that the hire car companys were off loading their stock   ..... might take a chance .. would have liked the 1.6 but not at €3,000 more ..

Dave

Hi Ok

Just an up date on the car and prices ... just bought this http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/312797943.htm?ca=20_s

from a dealership  price works out ( he is supplying and fitting a tow bar and electrics ) full service  carte gris taxes and new number plates for €12,000    .....so thats a tad under £10,000 same car in the uk is maybe a bit more ????   so who says cars are more expensive in France ??

Dave [:)][:D][:P]

I have just ordered a brand new car and they have given me over €3000 trade in on a 12year old Picasso and several other "freebies".New car sales are low in France at moment and the dealers are biting your hands off to buy a new one.

Sounds as if you have found a car at a  reasonable price - well done! Much better value than the 2008 you were looking at originally. I hope it serves you well. I was told years ago that as a Protestant family making cars for a Catholic country, Peugeots had to be better than the opposition.

Peter.

I chased the vehicle yesterday, its en route from Poland where Ford make them now with Fiat. What amazed me was that when I went to the showroom they had to find out what I could have fairly quickly and it wasn't a huge choice but otherwise its a five month wait for one of a different colour. Shows how times have changed and no one keeps much in stock any more.When we bought the Picasso we only had to wait two weeks for it to come from the factory.

I've gone for the Ka with the sporty spoiler on the rear and all in black with the tinted windows. Not a family car,but just for me and the dog to get around and my son to use if I want to use his bigger C4. I looked at all the reviews for the small citadine cars because originally I wanted an Aygo which is same as C1/107 etc but apparently they are very prone to water leaks and a few other problems and that put me off as well as the local Citroën dealer has now lost our business with their don't care attitude when you have a serious problem and its under guarantee! I go into Brest a lot to see my son or do the shopping and a small car is easy to park outside his flat whereas trying to get that Picasso in and out of the FNAC is a nightmare with no space to move. That trade in for my Picasso came as a surprise as I thought they would only offer €1500 at the most but it has only done 111,750kms from new.