Carte Gris - original or photocopy to keep in car?

Daft Doctor

Must have the original in the car. We always kept it all in the car,carte grise, insurance and CT if the car was old enough to need one. Then driving licenses always on us as well as our carte de sejours. It was a way of life.

There is a good reason why men usually carry bags in France.[Www]

[quote user="Daft Doctor"]... if it is necessary to carry the original carte gris in your car or whether a photocopy is acceptable. [/quote]

The gendarmes prefer the original if you are stopped for a check, they are not keen on copies. So I carry the original in the car and a copy in my purse - not least because it has my (new) address on.

Sue

Been carrying a photocopy for 6 or 7 years since I registered the car, never been asked for it at the roadside, only downside is I have no idea what "safe place" I put it in.

Your posting is timely though as I am finally going to get a CT this week some 6 months since it expired, I have been waiting for the good weather, no really!!! i got fed up of doing repairs in January but never thought that it would take this long, anyway you have reminded me that once every 2 years i need the original carte grise not the photocopy so that the test centre can tampon it.

I will have to do some hunting but you have saved me a journey.

I don't really understand why people get anal about carrying the original carte grise, if the car gets nicked it gets nicked but having the carte grise will be of little use to the thief - unless he tries to sell it to an unsuspecting Brit of course !

If you do lose it it's very easy to get a copy however by carrying it in the car the chances of losing it are reduced to practically zero and are definitely less than those of losing it at home or whilst carrying it in a purse or handbag etc.

Thanks for all the replies, my conclusion is that the original CG is indeed best kept in the glovebox.  Just got to find ANYWHERE that is selling the breathylisers, no sign in any of our Intermarché, Carrefour or SuperU.  Is somebody not missing out on a business opportunity here??

I also cannot find the "required" breath testers, what a farce! Anybody have any ideas? - Oh and please do not suggest a web site called "ethylotest- gratuit.org".

I do not drink at all and yet still have to have these efforts in the car and as far as business opportunity goes then I can only assume that someone has already made a killing or they certainly will when the fines become operational, and then I'll bet the shops will be full of extremely overpriced test kits.