Le Mans Classic

SC

Dear lord it's a watch, ffs.

Although I adored the 917s to bits and have a rather lovely painting of a Gulf one on my wall, I really never got the Steve McQueen thing.  The car is rather better looking than he was. Besides not being a particularly great actor he was just that, an actor.  Newman was by a long way the better driver.  Yes, the racing footage in the movie is great but it's a pretty dire film apart from that.  I guess there are so few motor racing movies and most of them bad, that it's any port in a storm.

Talking of sitting by the roadside minding your own business:

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q103/cooperlola/Spa2012098.jpg[/IMG]

If you have never been to Spa, the sight of all the competing cars (over 60 for the 24 hours) driving past you on the street is surreal to say the very least.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Dear lord it's a watch, ffs.

[/quote]

I'm sure you know this is not just a watch, it's an Ikon's watch;
After all, for that money, clearly the buyer could afford a barn full of classics, or 200 new  Tag+Heuer+automatic+chronograph+monaco but it does seem slightly nouveau that this kind of dosh is just disposable income!, and the film had it's cheesy moments.
I'm sure even the thrill of hanging a real 917 on the wall would pall after a while (which driver hung his F1 car on his apartment wall?) but hell if you have the l'argent pourquoi ne pas?![kiss]