Cooperlola's car

cooperlola2

Deb's Nissan is registered in her name, as is the insurance. Can I crave an indulgence here and simply ask how I get it transferred to my name? It appears the Carte Gris will have to be amended by the Prefecture - but what grounds do they have for doing it? Presumably I need a "something" from a Notaire to say I'm entitled to the transfer of ownership? Once I've passed that hurdle I can expect sympathy from the insurer, presumably. My Skoda had better get me to the funeral tomorrow!

I have been through this recently. Firstly you have to notify your Notaire of the death regarding inheritance issues. When he has confirmed your legal status regarding this you may ask him for an Attestation d'Heritance regarding the changing of the name on the carte grise, you cannot do it without this permission because you do not own the vehicle legally. You then have to have a new Certificate d'Immatriculation and if the old style number plates, they must be changed to a new registration which then stays with the vehicle.

Now, as you have no children I believe you are the sole heir otherwise the other heirs also have to write letters allowing you to take control of the vehicle as by law, they would also be part owners.

My case was complicated because although I owned my car, when we bought it, Citroën put M ou Mme ...........with only the christian name of my late husband and not mine so I had to get permission from the Notaire and the children in writing to sell the vehicle to the garage as part exchange for my new car.