Breathalyzer (non)availability

Daktari

[quote user="Frederick"]Halfords  on the counter of the check out two for about a fiver if you are going out to France and you feel desperate to take them .

[/quote]

Thank you for that Frederick. I'm not that bothered on this trip, despite other people's guesses, but our next visit will be mid-December when we'll be heading South and I don't want to be faffing around looking for alcootesters.  [:D]

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught something on the radio this morning that there was to be a legal challenge to this along the lines of restrictive practise as the only units allowed have to have NF marking and they're only available in France and that goes against the famous free movement of goods and services, also (and I didn't hear this clearly) there was a bit about this regulation not being enforceable as it wasn't required in any other EU country.  I didn't understand that.

• 2 weeks later...
Assuming more than a fraction have have bothered to read the instructions of course [:P]

A handy tip for those who are worried sh*tless and losing sleep over the potential of a life changing €11 fine for getting caught with an out of date one, buy them when you go for your CT [;-)]

I know they had a shelf life - like one year but no where on mine does it say keep below a certain temperature.  Can't find any around here in 36 (La Chatre)- they had some in the pharmacy a few weeks ago but that's about it.

Shelf life is supposedly 18-24 months but since they can be degraded by extremes of temperature if kept in the car they may well be rendered (even more) useless after the first hot Summers day.

Some myth busting hard info here:

http://testdig.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/documentation-contralco-alcohol-breath-tester-2.pdf

and here:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/cdrh_docs/reviews/K100879.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
Eh bien ... we've been back in France for 10 days, driving from Calais down to Provence and stopped off at a variety of supermarkets most days ... I've checked every visit for ethylo-testers and not even seen an empty rack on a shelf!

For my guidance, can someone who has seen them on sale tell me whether they are usually stocked with the auto products, in the wine / beer dept, or by the checkouts?

Thanks to all

Have seen them on a clip strip by the wines and spirits, so no empty shelf space when they're gone, and seen them with the auto supplies. The last time was just as you walked into leclerc in St Junien they had a free standing display with loads of them.

• 4 weeks later...
Oh bother (!!!) ANO - you've stolen my thunder.

Just saw the news on that. What a complete farce.

I tried to get some in the pharmacie on Friday - got as far as "Alco ...." and she said (with a charming but knowing smile as in this is the 14th time this morning) "Rupture de stock".

And a degree of common sense seems to be prevailing at last, inasmuch as they're going to look at it again in between and see if it's actually worth doing. In other words, do what they should have done beforehand.

It'll cheer up my neighbours no end, seeing that they were going to need dozens in order to be able to have a couple in each of their farm vehicles.

When I got stopped and breathalysed by Monsieur le plod last month, no mention of alcotests was made.

thanks, thats a euro saved..  actually a fiver as would have to buy here..  

rgds

Bill

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user=AnOther]Delayed to March 2013

Ho ho ho

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2012/10/08/97001-20121008FILWWW00626-ethylotests-les-sanctions-reportees-au-1er-mars.php

http://www.lepoint.fr/auto-addict/securite/ethylotest-obligation-repoussee-au-1er-mars-2013-08-10-2012-1514712_657.php[/quote]

That's the Noel drink drive campaign up in smoke then

[/quote]

Damn, just bought a couple from our local Leclerc at €4.00 each !!!

Always did think it was just a cynical money - making exercise in reality.

Our neighbour said a similar thing happened with the Hi Viz vests, €1.00 each at first, then after the usual hiatus of supply problems they reappeared with a huge mark-up! At least they are useful though!

Oh well, Will have to write that one off to experience then.

Johnnyboy.